• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *BACKside ROM Themes* Post your BACKside ROM themes here!

What color theme would you like to see created?

• Total voters
Ah, so I'm not the only one! I wonder if it would be better (or i guess even possible) to use the Amend scripting option instead of Edify, since it says right there to use Amend if you are getting 'error 0'? I wonder if that would cause problems elsewhere? I really have no clue about different types of scripting and what have you....

I tried that. It'll error during install also and say that option is only available if the phone runs Android 1.5 or older

Upvote 0
I tried that. It'll error during install also and say that option is only available if the phone runs Android 1.5 or older

ah, ok. glad i didn't try it then. weird that it says that about only being available for 1.5 or older tho...when i was running Harmonia, it was using Amend until the more recent updates, and it was made for Froyo...must be a kitchen/theme thing

Upvote 0
Originally, Harmonia only used amend I believe. But I think it uses edify now. Edify is a newer version which uses a newer tool set.

right on all counts, point being that Harmonia did use amend and used it on a version newer than 1.5, indicating that it can be done, whereas the error was saying that it was only for use on 1.5 and older. But yeah, I don't really even know what this 'scripting' is, so I will just hush it and defer to the experts here.

in other news...I just made a new theme and forgot to save my settings :( *facepalm*

Upvote 0
OK you guys, be on the lookout for a new theme reverter zip on my mediafire page here in a bit.

I just had to use it myself (made a theme that turned out crappy,lol) and realized that it doesn't set the font or boot animation back to default-I honestly didn't even think of these 2 things. I will have the fixed version up ASAP.

EDIT: New and improved reverter is up, and labeled as FIXED. FIXED one will change font and boot animation, (along with everything else) back to 'stock' BACKside. I left the old one up, in case anyone wants that version. Also, the boot animation is a bit smaller then the original, its the best I could do

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd share a few little tricks I've been figuring out when making themes.

Forget to save your settings? Like a theme by someone else, and want to do a remix? Please remember to give proper credit to the original theme author.
Open the theme zip file with 7zip (or similar) and look for the folder "settings", your uot file will be in the root of that folder.

Want to use a boot animation other than whats in the kitchen? Make your own with this nifty tool, and want to use it?
Again, with 7zip (or similar) open your theme zip file. Navigate to /system/media where you'll find a file named bootanimation.zip. Guess what that is? :) Overwrite this with your custom file renamed to bootanimation.zip. Now you need to resign your zip, or it won't install.

Have a boot animation that just won't go away? Tried flashing new themes, and boot animation changers with no effect?
Use Root Explorer (or similar) and navigate to /data/local. Delete the bootanimation.zip. Reboot and enjoy!

Keep a text editor open for copy and pasting. Your color scheme is in hex format. Keep your colors consistent by noting the hex numbers, then just paste it in.

I'll probably edit this later when I think of more (i.e. tinker more), but I just wanted to share the results of my experiments.

Upvote 0
Testing out a new build with status bar background options:
-Theme (default background, hoping it won't interfere with themes ;) )
-Custom color (user defined argb color selected via color wheel, transparency supported)
-Transparent (uses a transparent image with a small gradient at the top)

I could not get changes to take effect immediately, so for now, changes will apply on reboot. If everything works well while I'm at work today, I'll post the build tonite.

Next up- custom overscroll glow colors ;)

Happy Holidays!

Upvote 0
FYI- There have been a couple of reports of themes crashing the status bar. Brotherswing and I are looking into it, if we find there is a specific cause, we will let you all know, and I'll attempt to fix any issue we find. ;)
I have tracked it down to the systemui.apk, but I won't be able to troubleshoot any further for a while. My wife is in the early stages of labor, so I need my phone operational. I'll be posting and such, but can't have my phone semi-nerfed right now. If anyone more "deep techie" like myself wants to help, I can send you the zip file to reproduce the crash. For other themers who want to avoid any problems, just don't use status bar mods for the time being. Save your uot files, so you can add the mod back in when it gets fixed.

Upvote 0
Thank you! We have to be careful because neither of us is all that young anymore (in our 40's). Right now it's a whole lot of hurry-up-and-wait, but we're all excited here! I may have to change my username to Fatherswing. Well, no, my daughter is eight, but still...

Edit:: Not yet. Waiting for his birth is a lot like the wait for Duke Nukem Forever. Every time we think he's ready, the contractions stop after a couple of hours. We have a scheduled C-section for January 6th, so at least we know for a fact he'll be here by then.

Upvote 0
Someone voted for pastel in the poll. I'm willing to do it up, but I'm curious. Pastel like an Easter basket, or more like Miami Vice pastel?

I didn't choose pastels in the poll... but they are among my fav colors. Here's a pastel color wheel to get you started.

PastelWheel.gif

Upvote 0
I didn't choose pastels in the poll... but they are among my fav colors. Here's a pastel color wheel to get you started.
I was actually trying to get more of an idea of the overall style and feel of what the requester was after, because as you all know, I'm happy to oblige. I'm familiar with color theory, I put my ex-wife through art school. (Grrrrr.....:mad:)

Anyway, I've updated INVI for you, because it's such a disapointment to get a shiny new theme, only to have it outdated in the space of five days! I've updated the post, but to save you a few mouse clicks, here you go.

Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones