• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backup and Factory Restore Question

thefanmyj

Jun 11, 2010
Hi, all. Sadly, the headphone jack on my X is dying on me. I want to exchange it for a new one, but it took me forever to get the phone just the way I want it. Is there a way to backup everything on my phone - apps, settings, theme, layout, etc? And then is it easy to apply that backup to a new X?

Thanks for your help!

Yes! I'm assuming you have it rooted and if so you can use ROM manager from the market to make a backup or through the custom recovery screen. Either way it saves an exact image of your device in a folder located at sdcard/clockworkmod/backup that you can then restore to on your new phone. Assuming you keep the SD card!.

Rom manager instructions:
1. Open rom mananger
2. scroll down and hit backup current rom
3. give it a name in the pop up.
4. your phone will reboot and it should take less than 5 minutes.

Through custom recovery (my preferred method):
1. Reboot into custom recovery. Easiest way is to hit the Reboot Recovery button in the Droid X Bootstrapper application.
2. At the custom recovery screen scroll down to "backups and restore"
3. select backup.
4. You can then rename it in the file specified above as long as you don't put any spaces in the file name.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this info. Alas, my phone isn't rooted. Is there a way to do this on an unrooted phone?

Yes! I'm assuming you have it rooted and if so you can use ROM manager from the market to make a backup or through the custom recovery screen. Either way it saves an exact image of your device in a folder located at sdcard/clockworkmod/backup that you can then restore to on your new phone. Assuming you keep the SD card!.

Rom manager instructions:
1. Open rom mananger
2. scroll down and hit backup current rom
3. give it a name in the pop up.
4. your phone will reboot and it should take less than 5 minutes.

Through custom recovery (my preferred method):
1. Reboot into custom recovery. Easiest way is to hit the Reboot Recovery button in the Droid X Bootstrapper application.
2. At the custom recovery screen scroll down to "backups and restore"
3. select backup.
4. You can then rename it in the file specified above as long as you don't put any spaces in the file name.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones