Backup And Restore APPSupport

Last Updated:

1. juank

juank Member This Topic's Starter

hi everybody!

since last upgrade of sony ericsson I can't kill an app called backup and restore, because without these app I loose my signal, and it likes if I dont have a phonecard in the mini, the strange its that if I kill this app I cant run another time until restarting my phone, somebody have the same? I don't know what happens with it? can anyone explain me about these?

thankyou

Advertisement
  2. MiniDroid

MiniDroid Well-Known Member

Soooo, just don't kill it? Problem solved :)

3. juank

ok, I just want to know if it's my mobile only or all minis

thankyou

4. MiniDroid

It looks like a permission problem (too much privileges granted to the app) and I don't see the logical connection between a backup app and the gsm radio/phone part of the software - so I'll put it on the bug-list of this release.

So, just don't kill it.

And if you look around, you're adviced not to use task managers/killers in Android to kill apps you think the phone doesn't need.
    They're not "running", they're just kept ready in the background to lauch quicker. And IF you get low on memory, Android will swap it out for you to free needed memory.
    And I must say, I've not run low on memory since I got Android - it keeps track of this perfectly.

Another matter is poorly written apps that doesn't do things the way they're supposed. Then you MIGHT need a killer to stop it from using cpu/memory.

5. juank

ok I understand, but I now i use task manager and can see that apps like better keyboard, mail app, configuration assistent, google partner setup, calendary, music, my uploads, digital cloc sony.ericson.capabilities, camera, search sync service, this eat the memory phone, gaving only 45 of memory, and if i kill the memory releases up to 90, and this is much more battery life, no?
    many of this apps I dont use so much, and i if want to use, can turn on by pressing their button.
    I'dont kill apps that I don't know about, or that only spends 0 - 10 k

6. MiniDroid

What good does free memory give you?
    90MB free memory is just a waste as it's not dooing any good for the phone.
    And really, apps don't use that much memory so 40MB is plenty (mine is around 20MB).

You see, Android keeps track of this for you.
    If you're running low on memory it'll take one of the cached but unused apps that it had in memory (for you to quickly access it if needed) and replace it with free memory for other running apps to use (but this doesn't happen often since Android is keeping track of this and swap the apps as needed).

Apps in memory which not is in use but cached does not drain your battery.

And the function who swaps this is also not using much cpu/memory.
    The fact that you kill those apps and Android just re-load them IS draining your battery :)

And yes, I see the point that apps you don't use get cached and you'll like to free that space for other apps you use to get cached instead.... But then you'll need to change the source code and remove those apps (or root your phone and uninstall them IF they're removable and not a vital part of Sony Ericssons setup).

So to sum it up.
    Android keeps track of this fine by it self, no need for you to compete with Android.
    You'll never get 0MB free memory, as this is kept track of by Android.
    Apps that is cached does not use extra battery.
    The reason for keeping apps in cache is to access them faster then if they're not.
    This gives you a better user experience as the phone won't seem to lag when you want to do something.

20MB free memory, 40MB free memory or 90MB free memory - non of these numbers affects battery life.

juank likes this.
  7. juank

oookk.
    (anyone knows lockbot? I used and I think it was the problem of super-draining battery)