backup assistant...General

Last Updated:

1. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am going crazy trying to find the backup assistant on my Eris (just got the phone)

Is not not available on these phones?
    Please help!!!!

Advertisement
  2. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

If you're referring to the backup assistant for standard Verizon phones... you don't really need it. Use GMail for all your contacts, and you're pretty much backed up.

Yeah, it's prettty much completely different.

3. cableguynoe

Problem is I have about 100 contacts in my old cell phone... NOT in Gmail...

so there's no way?

4. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

When I switched from my EnV Touch to the Eris, I asked about Backup Assistant, and the lovely Verizon Store lady said "You have GMail, why have Backup Assistant"?

So no, I'd guess BA is not really an option. There is no "Get It Now" in Droid World.

5. Jayse

Jayse Well-Known Member

Why didn't you have Verizon do it when you bought the ERIS?

6. cableguynoe

I ordered it online

7. Maxwell

Maxwell Well-Known Member

I encountered the same problem when I got my Eris. I ordered my phone online from the Verizon web site so there was next to no instruction on how to transfer my contacts from my old phone to the Eris. The answer to your question is "no, there is no back up assistant on the Eris or any other smartphone for that matter."

What I ended up doing was opening a Gmail account then signing into my Verizon account online to view my backed-up contacts. At this point, you select all of your contacts to export as a CSV file (I think the export command is under the 'settings' button). Import it to your Gmail account online. After doing so, login to Gmail on your Eris and your contacts should magically appear. I did this a while ago so please forgive me if I didn't use the right terminology to describe what I did. Hope this works for you, I kinda winged it when I did this and it worked.

thenestor and cableguynoe like this.
  8. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

That's what I did also (already had a Gmail account though) and the exported CSV file wasn't perfect and I had to do some hand-editing to get it into Gmail contacts cleanly. I had multiple phone numbers for people, e-mail addresses, etc, etc that didn't match up perfectly between the two.

cableguynoe likes this.
  9. cableguynoe

That worked!!!!

Thank you!

10. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

WTG Maxwell, good advice

11. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

I had the same question when I got my eris. I brought mine to a VZW store with my old phone and they transferred my contacts from my old phone.
    Your gmail a count will then provide the backup, so there's no need for VZW's backup assistant feature.