Backup contactsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. fussundgeist

fussundgeist Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on the edge up upgrading to 2.1, went through and did the steps up to putting the zip on the card. There's one thing concerning me though.
    It says to do a factory reset. Will this purge/delete any contacts that were entered as "phone" (versus "Google")? I have several contacts, from work, that I entered as phone. I'm looking for a way to back everything up.
    Looked through the sd card files and didn't see anything.
    I ran ContactSync app from the market, said it would move all contacts from "Phone" to "Google," on the actual phone it did, but when I check Google contacts directly, they don't exist.
    Is there a manual method to create a .csv file from everyone in the phone to have a more tangible backup copy?
    I've tried doing HTC Sync, but the program seems like trash. It doesn't connect to the eris and no way of forcing it to look for the phone. Tried running with USB debug on/off, and sd card mounted/nonmounted.

any help on this would greatly be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. fussundgeist

I did some more searching in the phone. Checked the google sync settings, "contacts" wasn't checked. Checked it, and started syncing. Gave an error stating "too many deletes - 93," these should be ones I removed when I first set everything up (a bunch of old email addys I don't contact). Told it delete all (other options were undelete, and something about doing nothing). Let it run for about another 10 minutes, unchecked the sync selection thinking it had froze. Cleaned up the google contacts directly. Running the sync again and its been about 15 minutes.

3. fussundgeist

sync finally finished. It synced so only the contacts listed online at google were kept, so the people I was trying to back up it deleted anyway.:mad:
    it deleted my fiance even.

4. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

that blows! i want to back up my contacts too. let me know if you figure it out.

5. fussundgeist

2.1v2 is up and running fine. Never did figure out what happened to the contacts. After the backup sync (prior to upgrade) Google Contacts drop from 144 to 124...so I lost 20 people. Some were definately original google contacts. The ones I thought I would loose was ~10 co-workers, those and the mysterious others are lost to time. BUT since 2.1 allows multiple google accounts and we use a corporate version of gmail/cal/contacts for work, those are theoretically put back in.

On a related side note, I did not get duplicating events in the calendar, thought it could be an issue if it syncs my work google, while it pushes all events to my personal google. With the old version I had to play around with the exact settings for how and what sub-calendars were shared.