Backup Options for Droid X - that have been used

Last Updated:

1. Larryf

Larryf Active Member This Topic's Starter

Coming from the iPhone where the entire thing is backed up every time you sync, I'm looking for something similar for my Droid X.

I've spent a lot of time installing and customizing my Droid X and would hate to think I had to start over if something happened to it.

What are the best backup solutions where I can backup everything and then if I lose the phone, restore without the pain of reinstalling and customizing everything again?

Advertisement
  2. travishamockery

travishamockery Well-Known Member

I know Astro does backups to your SD card, is that what you're looking for?

3. Larryf

Larryf Active Member This Topic's Starter

Not really. That would be good but if I lost the phone or it got stolen, the SD card would be gone too. I was looking for an online backup or laptop backup if it's available.

4. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

I've been searching for a solid solution as well.

5. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member

6. travishamockery

travishamockery Well-Known Member

I can't swear this would work, but I'm wondering if you mount the SD card after an Astro backup to your PC and manually copy the files over, would it work if you were to get the new phone and place them back in the same spot of the SD card to let Astro install from there again? Logistically it sounds like it would, I just haven't used android before so I can't say it would.

Serpentine and keeplivin like this.
  7. keeplivin

keeplivin Member

sounds like a good idea to me. or just buy a second sd card and save the backup.

that mite not be cloudy enough for everyone, but its what they used to do in the old days right?

8. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

titanium backup can do this with dropbox, but you need to be rooted.

clockwork recovery creates images, but you must be rooted and it only saves the images to the sd card

9. MikeAce00

MikeAce00 Well-Known Member

This might be what your looking for.

From Scary Alien:

Member doogald suggested MyBackup Pro. Here's the link to that thread Seeking a perfect backup concept (its not too long).

Cheers!

10. Bankswood

Bankswood Well-Known Member

I make a folder on my PC called SD Card Backup. I connect my X to my PC open both the X sd card and the SD Card Backup folder and copy everything over from the sd card to the sd card folder. Then I occassionaly check for new docs and pics on the sd card and move them over.

11. bbuck002

bbuck002 Well-Known Member

app brain will backup/restore your apps via over the air download and it has management through the internet.
    your gmail account automatically backsup your contacts
    the android market also backs up your apps

everything else i know of requires root to access, but after you root, its really easy and thats the best way to "image" your phone.

you make your backups then copy them from your sdcard to a computer and you'll always have them.

i'm guessing the reason you it's not like the iphone where you plug in to itunes and it backs up is due to the fact that Android is much more customizable, and it runs widgets. even with my golauncher backups, when i restore, i have to manually restore my widgets.

as for whole phone through the cloud backups, i just don't think we are there yet

12. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

Well, for non-rooted phones (before I rooted mine), I used Lookout, which backs up your most important stuff to their servers. MyBackup is good, but the best option is to root and then use Droid X Bootstrap Recovery and Titanium Pro, nothing better.

If you're real paranoid, hook up your X to your pc and then copy everything to your pc using Windows Explorer.