• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backup/ Restore question

Rb_stern

Dec 31, 2013
I know there are multiple threads on this subject, but I still can't find a clear simple answer, so please bear with me. I used to have an Iphone - I could do a complete "one stop" backup and restore of everything (including data, apps etc. by plugging it into my Macbook Pro , open Itunes, hit Sync, and it would do it.

Evidently I can't do this with my un-rooted Nexus 5. I have browsed all the forums, Google Play apps etc., and as my Nexus doesn't have a separate SD card, and I don't know how to (and don't want to) root it, I don't see an equivalent simple way. I have installed Android File transfer on my Mac, but it's full of files I don't understand, and no mention of several apps I have bought.

One possible method , if I had to upgrade, or buy a new Android device, would be to use the automatic restore option from my Google account, then re-download purchased and installed apps - is that correct? Or is there in fact an "Apple simple method" equivalent that I am missing?

Thanks, Richard

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones