Backup & Rooting

Last Updated:

1. callmejimmyj

callmejimmyj Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

My phone has started to get a little sluggish recently and I am considering doing a factory reset to hopefully clear out any clutter that has built up in the 6 months that I have had the handset. (Desire, not rooted, 2.2 update but never been factory reset). Is this likely to help or am I thinking too much in terms of a PC ?

If I do go ahead with the reset my main concerns are backing up my Contacts, messages, call history, and save games.

After a little searching I have been able to determine that my automatic backup and restore is activated (using this method) - will this take care of contacts, messages & call history ?

Most of the save games I am worried about seem to place backup files on the SD (robo defense, camel games etc) however it seems backing up angry birds progress is a little more difficult to keep - from the searching I have done it seems the only way is via rooting my device and using Titanium Backup Pro - can anyone confirm this (or suggest an alternative way) ?

If I do have to root for Titanium, Is there anyway to unroot ? i.e. leaving no trace of rooting should be phone need to be sent back under warranty ?

Many Thanks

Advertisement
  2. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

Personally prior to rooting my phone I always used My Backup Pro to save all my data. Its a great app and comes with 30 days free. It backs pretty much everything up but I don't think even this will backup your angry birds saves.

Now I have rooted I use a combination of Nandroid (The built in save) which saves all data so if you need to reinstall then it will restore it exactly as it was when you did the Nandroid Backup. I also use Titanium which is also a great app. This saves all of your apps their data and the data for system files. Using a combination of these 2 you will never have any issues.

Once you have rooted you can always download the ROM of your supplier and go back to how it was i.e remove root.

Hope this helps mate.

3. callmejimmyj

Thanks jay_kay, do you happen to know if Angry Birds will survive the root process to enable me to install Titanium Backup ?

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

if you're using unrEVOkoed to root (which you will have to be) it just flashes a custom recovery and roots the existing OS, so everything will be as was except you will get a new app called "superuser permissions" and root access.

5. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

MyBackup Pro WILL backup your AB saves :)

As long as you tell it too.

6. callmejimmyj

Thanks Rouge, think i'll give this a try, fingers crossed ;)

7. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

Won't that just put back all the stuff you're trying to clear out though? I reset my Desire last week and all my apps went, but I've ended up with a phone that's running better than ever! I reckon one of my apps was up to no good.

Yes, I had to start Angry Birds again, but so what?

Seriously though, I now leave mobile data and wifi on and all the various updates just get on and do their thing, my battery is still on 60-70% by the time I head home. Before my reset I always turned those things off to save battery. I'd have a good look at what your apps are allowed to do as it looks like one of mine was continually hammering the battery somehow.

In fact, as of now: up time = 6:50, awake = 1 hour, battery = 80%

Fair enough, I haven't done a lot with it, but then the battery reflects that. Previoulsy I'd lose battery power even if I wasn't doing anything with it!