• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Backup Stock ROM

Hi,

I've recently rooted my SGA and have over the last few days been tweaking it to how I want it. I am sticking with the stock ROM for now (may try other ROMs at a later date), but now I've finished my tweaks I want to back the ROM up.

I've read up on how to do this with ClockworkMod Recovery and ROM Manager, but I keep reading that ROM Manager bricks Aces!

Is it possible to backup my phone without ROM Manager, i.e. just using CWM Recovery alone? And if so, is this safe for the Ace? And finally, are there any available tutorials on doing it this way?

Many thanks.

Its very easy, you need to have a custom recovery like clockworkmod installed in the phone. The latest for the ace is CWM 5.0.2.6. If you don't have it, then get it first.
Steps:-
1. Enter recovery menu using Home + Power button combo
2. Use volume keys to navigate to Backup and Restore
3. Click on Backup
Your done!

You have made a nandroid backup of your entire rom, you can restore to this from any other rom as long as its not any Cyanogenmod or cynogenmod based rom or any custom stock rom converted to ext file system.(In short you cannot restore from a rom in ext format, the rom has to be in rfs format else you will have to flash stock via Odin first and then restore)

Its pretty safe, you can try it. Its a daily thing for most root users.

P.S. Throw the ROM MANAGER out of your mind, its poison for this phone, specially for newbies.

Reactions: Ruth5662
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones