Backup Strategy

Last Updated:

1. kirkinsd

kirkinsd Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I rooted my Incredible a few weeks ago (thanks to everyone here) and I want to know how I should be handling regular backups.

At the time of the root I did a Nandroid backup and then a Titanium backup. I then copied the contents of my SD card over to my PC for safe-keeping.

Should I continue to do regular Nandroid + Titanium backups? Or, should I just do Titanium? Am I overwriting good

Advertisement
  2. masully1984

masully1984 Well-Known Member

I would still continue to do both. Nandroid backups are a must. You're not overwriting the previous Nandroid, just making a new one. I always perform one before I flash anything, that's just me I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have yet to load a Nandroid backup because I haven't had any problems. I keep a log for myself for each Nandroid to cut down on the confusion. I keep at least 1 Nandroid backup on my sdcard at all times. Hope this helps. And don't rename the Nandroids either you could run into problems doing that.

3. kirkinsd

kirkinsd Member This Topic's Starter

Do you also perform a Titanium backup in addition to the Nandroid backup?

Regarding the Nandroid backup, do you move the old, previous backups, the entire dated directory in \sdcard\clockworkmod\<dated backup> to your PC? If you had to go back to one of those old ones is it just a matter of copying the directory back to the sdcard?

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Good idea on copying the SD contents. Nand backups take up a lot of card space so although I do them pretty regularly, I delete any that I know I won't use again and move others to the PC. I always keep a few solid configurations on my card, one of which is usually my latest setup.

Titanium Backups can be done on an an auto-generated schedule from within the app. I personally do a full backup every Sun and newer versions on Wed. They overwrite each other to keep a fairly constant card space aside from the fact that as time goes on, you probably have a few more apps to backup. Non-issue though when it comes to Titanium.

5. biohazard989

biohazard989 Active Member

Hey question about renaming nandroid backups what problems have occoured renaming. This is the first. time I have heard of that. If you have a link on discussion about this that would be awesome.

6. maikinmoves

maikinmoves Active Member

I always put a little tag at the end of the date of my nan backup, such as virt_3.1.x so the whole name is 2010-10-01-18.42.49virt_3.1.3 just so i know what rom it is and how current, and i have not run into problems. I have been doing a lot of restores lately as i keep trying out the latest and greates Desire HD, which is awesome but too buggy to keep as a daily driver.

In regards to Titanium I do a back up before I flash a new rom or a restore, and that is usually just on system data, just to keep my text messages up and current. although i did learn that if you ever goof and loose all you text messages that you can just flash you last Nan backup and they will all come up to that date.

Back up are great though just cause they give you more flexibility to flash new roms just to try out anything different and when you want it is only 5 minutes or less to be back to where you originally were, or when you do try to flash something incompatible with your current rom and you get into a boot loop you can just restore the rom to right before you installed the mistake.

But if you have a rom up and running for more than 48 hours without a problem and you aren't flashing anything different I would say you are pretty safe with just the scheduled back ups through Titanium.

7. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I'm the paranoid sort so this is my backup strategy if it's of any use to you.

My Backup Pro - Daily backup of all settings to the cloud.
    Nandroid - Weekly backup every Saturday done manually.
    Titanium - Daily backup of all settings, Daily backup of all new apps, Weekly backup of all system data and all applications.

I also sync these backup to my computer on a regular basis. Yes, I'm really paranoid.

8. masully1984

masully1984 Well-Known Member

Here are some threads about renaming nandroids http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/173053-nandroid-restore-problem-please-help.html & http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/184233-installing-roms-doing-data-wipes.html. I think what causes the problems is putting a space in the name, I think. Everything I've read says to steer clear of renaming. Like A.Nonymous I'm a little on the paranoid side lol. I keep everything backed up on my pc. I don't want an expensive paperweight!