• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Backup user defined dictionary?

narf

May 7, 2010
Is there a way to backup the user defined dictionary when switching between ROMs? I searched around a bit but couldn't find a solution for HTC phones. Would restoring HTC_IME using titanium backup work? (assuming you are restoring sense 2.2 on top of 2.2?)

Sorry for opening such an old thread, but I figured others might have this issue, because I know I did when flashing CM7.

Use Titanium Backup. The user dictionary is a green entry named "[USER DICT] com.android.providers.userdictionary".

I tried that after flashing Medion's ROM "Liberation", and it didn't work. I even tried restoring App+Data and it was still empty.

I searched further down in Ti and found "[USER DICT HTC] Touch Input 2.10" which is also a green entry almost at the bottom of the list. When I restored the Data only on this, my dictionary was fully restored. I'm not sure if it's a combination of the two, or if only the second one is required, but it worked.

My question is, will it work when flashing a GingerROM, a non-Sense ROM, or any other ROM that is not 2.2?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones