• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Backups and Contacts

destrekor

Dec 24, 2009
So, I use Clockwork Recovery and all things associated with ROM Manager and Cyanogen Mod.
I have lost all of my contacts. I perform full backups prior to installing a new version of CM.
Can I recover my contacts and only my contacts?

And before anyone reminds me: yes, I know about Google Sync.

There's a problem with that: my gmail account was hijacked. I was able to recover it, and everything is now thoroughly locked down with insane passwords. But I just discovered: all my contacts on my phone, at least the majority of them, have disappeared!

And worse, in the Contacts area of Gmail, there are ZERO contacts. My contacts got completely wiped! So.. kind of in a pickle, where Sync has made things worse by syncing one way, and not the other way! It forced the contacts off my phone, instead of uploading the contacts on my phone to Google! What's up with that?!

And how can I fix this?

You won't want to hear this, but you are FUBAR.
I have been there when the MotoQ came out, and I just had to locate numbers over the course of a month, and some I lost for good.

"We regret that we are unable to recover messages or contact entries that have been permanently deleted."
Deleted messages or contacts - Gmail Help

Problem is that the google side was empty, and why the droid didn't combine is beyond me.

I looked for about 15 minutes and came up with only the above. Feel free to look some more, but I think it's done. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones