Backups between different versions of Android? Restore 1.6 backups into 2.2 cause problems?

Last Updated:

1. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I remember when I unrooted to cupcake and restored my 1.6 settings, it actually prevented me from downloading the OTA update! I could see it but it refused to download. I had to factory reset and wait for the update to 1.6 to come through so I could restore my 1.6 data and settings back into 1.6.

Will attempting to restore 1.6 settings/data (bookmarks, wifi networks, etc) into 2.2 (CM6) cause similar issues? I know there are no OTA updates to CM to worry about, but could there be other consequences?

Thanks!

EDIT - I was referring to using Titanium Backup or MyBackupPro with root.

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Define restore. What are you using to restore?

3. Phateless

Mybackup or Titanium Backup. So just restoring apps, preferences, bookmarks, etc.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

If you are using titanium backup, you might have accidentally overwritten some default app with an older version, which will most likely cause problems. If you only restore the apps that are NOT in red, you shouldn't have any problems.

5. Phateless

In the previous case it was using mybackup. This time I only used TiBa to restore a few certain apps and everything else I set up manually.