1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Bad Battery Life? For those experiencing excessive "Keep Awake" Android OS usage, read on...General

1. cosmosan

cosmosan Well-Known Member

For those of you experiencing bad battery life and/or witnessing high "Keep Awake" times, an issue/defect has been filed on code.google.com:

Issue 22878 - android - Galaxy Nexus ICS 'Android OS' High Battery usage - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Apparently, many Nexus S owners have chimed in claiming their battery life has taken a turn for the worse after upgrading to ICS. I suggest folks click the link above and "star" this issue so that it gets elevated to high priority. You can "star" it by clicking on the star next to "Issue 22878".

Advertisement
    :
    magpullin, ajoudi84, Jon Nale and 2 others like this.
  2. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Bravo thank you sir :)
  3. XFistsClenched

XFistsClenched Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with my phones battery life.
  4. cosmosan

Good for you.

However, if you're experiencing the high "Keep Awake" times, I still suggest you click the link and "star" the issue. As good as your battery life may be now, imagine how good it will be if they resolve this issue.
    jkc120 likes this.
  5. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Could not have said it better myself. I actually like the battery life so far. However, the Android OS usage is @ 18% after ~12 hours on battery here and the keep awake time is 4h 40m 52s. :eek:

something is not right...the only explanation I have is that the LTE/3G signal issues and toggling/etc are contributing to battery usage categorized as "Android OS", but I have no idea how that could be or if it even makes technical sense in ICS.

But seriously people, the Android OS usage should not be this high. Or if it is (due to many things being combined in this one lump reported category), the least Google could do is explain WHAT composes this "Android OS" report out and how we can see what the breakdown is for it (if possible) via debug or logcat or whatever.
  6. cosmosan

Everyone with a galaxy nexus should be starring this issue/defect.
  7. cbeng

cbeng Active Member

If LTE usage does indeed fall under Android OS, which is quite possible, it's perfectly reasonable that it would take up a high percentage.

I really hope that someone can make an LTE toggle widget, though. Seems like such a no brainer that I'm surprised it's not included as part of the power control widget or from Verizon on all 4G phones.

The "keep awake" runaway drain shouldn't be happening though. Hopefully some simple settings (disable button click sounds, etc.) and software updates can fix that.
    alostpacket likes this.
  8. bigeric828

bigeric828 Member

Some people stated that they've had the problem in airplane mode too, so its likely not 4g.
  9. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with 4G. I haven't had LTE on since I bought the phone and I have the "issue". Part of me wonders whether or not its just a change in how ICS reports battery usage but I'm guessing we'll see as the devs get further with kernel tweaks and the likes.
  10. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Well-Known Member

now that you mentioned this i looked at the history and i do have a lot of keep awake. i also noticed in the screenshots people are posting, there's not so much. how do i diagnose what's causing the phone to wake up?

edit: looking at it some more, it's "android OS" - keep awake 3 hours of 14 on battery
  11. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Well-Known Member

Yeah I was too until yesterday morning when Android OS decided it was going to come out of the woodwork and cut my battery life by a factor of 3.
  12. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member

Very unlikely it's LTE-related. I have a GSM unlocked GNex and am experiencing the same "keep awake" time.
  13. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Ditto.

It's not screen
    It's not 4G.

I disabled 4G, left phone in 3G only. Unplugged at about 10:00 PM and left it idle after killing apps.

Woke up in the morning and the phone was at 60%!!!! Ridiculous.

Android OS usage was extremely high. Forget how high, but it was at the top of the list and a very high percentage of use.
  14. byrds8

byrds8 Well-Known Member

I agree something seems to be draining the battery from the phone when its in standby. I dont think it would last long enough to live up to the 150hr standby time quoted even if you never touched it.
  15. somethingelse

somethingelse Member

I think it has something to do if you are switching from wifi/4G/3G/2G even if you're not using the phone. If you stay at one place with wifi enabled and set it to never go to sleep, it seems to vastly improve battery life and Android OS "awake time" is less. I average 3% battery drop over 1 hr in this case with no use.
  16. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Well-Known Member

Don't think I agree. I've kept my Wifi and 4G disabled as of late, and I am seeing quite a bit of awake time. Even while I'm asleep.
  17. schleppy

schleppy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in and say that my Galaxy Nexus shows the OS using a ton of battery. I also starred the issue.
  18. jimmypop13

jimmypop13 Well-Known Member

it isnt 4g, data, or sound, or widget related. I turned off all of that last night and when i got up, took this screen shot. Something woke up my phone twice for a long period of time. I factory reset my phone right before this so i had no apps other than stock either. Im on 4.0.2 Reading the link above, it looks like 4.0.3 doesnt solve the issue.

Attached Files:

19. somethingelse

somethingelse Member

You have 90% battery after over 9 hrs of use - that's great! What was your #1 battery use? If it's not "Android OS", this is significant.

This is the 2nd time i've heard of doing a factory reset and then just letting it sleep and seeing great battery life. We need to start adding things 1 by 1 to see what is making "Android OS" the top battery use. I'd start with just playing with it a day, then repeating the same study the next night.. Would be interesting if "Android OS" wasn't top of the list still.
  20. keatre

keatre Well-Known Member

21. cosmosan

According to one of the users on the issue/defect page, Google has pulled the ICS update for the Nexus S, so it may mean they're working on a fix now...
  22. ebelviranli

ebelviranli New Member

I have the same issue, phone is awake 100% of the time.

You can view&star the issue:
    code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23301
  23. blacknsb

blacknsb Well-Known Member

I just looked at my stats and it said that my keep awake time was 11h 11m 11s and the CPU total was 2h 24m 58s. That's insane if its keeping my phone awake the entire day. I uses my GPS for work all day so I haven't been able to tell what kind of battery life I am getting.
  24. jimmypop13

jimmypop13 Well-Known Member

Lol. I wish that was my normal battery life over 9 hours. I only used the phone for around 15 minutes before I went to bed and I had also turned off the 3g and 4g radios. Normal battery for me is more like 6 hours
  25. Gdwheel

Gdwheel Well-Known Member

For some reason, mine says voice calls 34% (of the 14 hours of use). I made one call of 50 seconds. Something is wrong. I also occasionally get an "android has stopped" message when I get a call. Any ideas?