• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad feeling about Verizon's next Droid update

This is slightly incorrect. I will break the plans down as there seems to be some confusion with the plan prices and tethering....
The $44.99 data package for PDA/Blackberry is only slightly different from the $29.99 plan. On a Windows mobile device the more expensive package allows you access to the Wireless Sync program, and for the Blackberry it allows you access to the BES. The Wireless sync and BES options are controlled in the Verizon switch. So if you have the cheaper plans, you will not be able to access Wireless Sync or the BES. For the $44.99 you do not have any tethering access, it is available for $15.00 additional. That makes your total access $59.99 if you have the data plan and plan on tethering....... For the $29.99 email and web plan, you get what it states...email and web on your smartphone. On the Blackberry you get your BIS emails and on the Windows phones/Droid you get your normal access as well. The tethering option is $30 on top of the plan, which gets you right back to $59.99. The catch to the cheaper plan is if your on an exchange server you are "supposed" be on the more expensive plan....but there is nothing in the system on Verizons end to block this. The tethering is an a la carte feature.

A Verizon corporate representative made a specific statement around the time of the Droid's release (reported on one of the tech blogs that actually went to the trouble to contact Verizon corporate and ask, and they reported the name/title of the Verizon representative in their story as well)...the statement confirmed that the $44.99 data plan for Android & WinMo phones is for phones on a corporate account (i.e., provisioned and maintained on a B2B account between Verizon and the company to provide phones for the company's employees. The $44.99 plan is not necessary for phones bought by consumers (B2C), and there is no limitation, enforced or otherwise, on using the $29.99 plan w/Exchange servers or active sync. Verizon reps are (as always) not fully aware/informed regarding their own company's policies, and will sometimes tell people otherwise.

Blackberry is different in this area...the $44.99 BES plan is required for any BB, B2B or B2C, that wishes to connect to a company BES. My wife has a BB, purchased B2C, and pays $44.99 to connect to her company's BES.

I can't find the link to the story at this point, but it was posted and discussed extensively on HoFo in November.

Upvote 0
I don't think you understood my post at all. The points you discuss in your post were not the points I addressed.

The last point YOU made is that because you might be able to violate your promise and maybe not get caught, presumably, that is just fine with you. Is that what you think of contracts in general? That they don't mean anything if you don't get caught violating them?

Using that logic, your insurance company should be able to walk away from reimbursing you if your house burns down because they might be able to get away with it.

In short, you believe that if a law or rule doesn't suit you, you are on perfectly high moral grounds to ignore parts of the rule, or the entirety of the rule, even though you agreed to it. Isn't that what sociopaths (google it) do?

That seems to be the whole point of your post. Or did I miss something?:rolleyes:

Hah resulting to name calling now are we? And I understood perfectly, you might want to reread everything. And you are assuming way to much. You have completely gone from talking about tethering to my moral beliefs. You should probably get back on the topic and not worry about others and your own personal feelings.

And I think its immoral of companies to nickel and dime you like that. And I have already paid for 5gb of bandwidth. So if i have an emergency and need to tether for something I will... and by the way I have not even used tethering yet, except for loading google to test it out.

And laws for the most part dont have anything to do with morality ;)

Upvote 0
you can get tethering much cheaper elsewhere, so if vz choses to impair the users who tether, they will loose customers. they will also lose a lot of goodwill and word-of-mouth. i suspect the rumors about tethering restrictions are spread by competitors. terms of service are probably enforceable, but usually unusable. if enforced indiscriminately, they will damage vz's business terribly. this would be so unwise as to be unrealistic.

Upvote 0
Hah resulting to name calling now are we? And I understood perfectly, you might want to reread everything. And you are assuming way to much. You have completely gone from talking about tethering to my moral beliefs. You should probably get back on the topic and not worry about others and your own personal feelings.

And I think its immoral of companies to nickel and dime you like that. And I have already paid for 5gb of bandwidth. So if i have an emergency and need to tether for something I will... and by the way I have not even used tethering yet, except for loading google to test it out.

And laws for the most part dont have anything to do with morality ;)
Wow :eek:

Upvote 0
Snip!!.....

Using that logic, your insurance company should be able to walk away from reimbursing you if your house burns down because they might be able to get away with it.

.... Snip!!

They do... all the time... this point is entirely moot. Insurance companies draw contracts with healthy people every day, and as soon as those healthy people get sick, insurance companies can and DO drop them and then the customer is stuck with a Pre-Existing Condition and no insurance company to pick them up. Why shouldn't we be able to do the same thing. =P (sarcasm)

While I'm on the subject, if instead of trying to build a whole new healthcare system for this country, the government would just make it illegal for insurance companies to discriminate based on pre-existing conditions, and illegal to drop existing customers because they get sick... the healthcare system would be fixed... as it stands, in all 50 states, legal or illegal or citizen or visiting diplomat, anyone who walks into a hospital emergency room is 100% guaranteed care, regardless of if they have insurance coverage or money, so Universal Healthcare isn't needed in the first place.

/rant off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones