Bad Review Really Has Me Second Guessing

Last Updated:

1. rhwd2003

rhwd2003 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys just read this review over at TechCrunch yeah I know it comes from an iPhone lover and I have been using an iPhone for the past 2 years so I figured it would be a good idea of what I will think of first as well. But all the things I read battery life seems to be the biggest I can't go without. Does anybody have any idea why just a couple reviews are bashing the battery so bad? I saw another thread where someone had a test going that lasted a very long time. Is there something missing or a secret to how no one else has said anything about the battery not lasting anymore then 4 hours?

Advertisement
  2. BigRick10

BigRick10 Well-Known Member

Oh C'mon. This guy is clearly talking out of his ass! All other reviews say other wise. You know there was bound to be one fanyboy review. .

3. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

The battery is getting hammered on almost all of the reviews. But to me the criticism is a bit unjustified. They are hammering the shit out of it for 4 hours and surprised when it doesn't last longer? Really? How many phones can last over 4 hours with continuous use? Assuming you aren't blowing off work by playing on the phone all day, it should be able to get through a full day on a charge no problem IMO.

And if it doesn't, then unlike the iPhone there are ways to remedy this :)

Edit: The only time I'd be on the phone for 4 hours straight is maybe when traveling - but again I don't have any mobile devices with more than 4 hours of battery life, soooo....

4. kingjah2gz

kingjah2gz Member

This guy is a iphone fanboy.If you know that then why question his nonsense.There are plenty of reviews out here stating the battery life is no where as bad as he makes it seems.

5. nathanjr

nathanjr Member

I would expect updates to help the battery woes a bit, because Android runs on a lot of different hardware it can take developers a while to tweak it work best on a specific phone, where as the iPhone OS is geared for that phone only. With every major and minor update for Android or my phone specifically I've seen battery life and phone performance get better.
    The biggest drains are the screeen and the radios, and this phone has a huge screen and a buttload of radios! There a lot of power management apps for Android that let you automatically set brightness, radios (2G, 3G, 4G, WiFi), and other settings depending on how much batter life you have. If coming from the iPhone (and I'm not trying to dis you) you aren't accustomed to changing settings on the fly one of these apps will do it for you. Adjusting the screen brightness by 15-20% can give you a lot of extra battery life. I have a feeling turning off the Sense UI and using regular Android will save juice too.

6. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

When the new IPhone comes out with comparable features to the EVO let him do a review then and compare apples to apples..

The IPhone does not have half the features as the EVO how is that even a comparison?

Like SP said I have never had a phone that can last 8 hours on continuous use.. I can kill any phone in 4 hours or less..

7. Synthetickiller

Synthetickiller Well-Known Member

I started to skim the article when the OPTION of using 4G (since you can turn it off) is NEVER a detriment since you aren't forced to use it.

His point is moot. I'll read more of this article, but this guy sounds like an apple fanboy asshat already.

Btw, I am leaving my iPhone 3GS for the EVO and the battery on my phone would die with heavy internet usage VERY quickly to the point where I was having to charge my phone all day so I wouldn't have a dead iPhone by 2 PM.

Onto read more and destory his arguments.....

I hate fanboys......

8. bossxii

bossxii Well-Known Member

Load up Mywi hotspot on the iPhone and use it to stream video, or say Slingplayer, 90 mins later it's dead. 4 hours is frickin amazing if they have tethering and/or the hot spot running. Another issue is is the do not have 4G coverage in their area, the phone will run the Wimax radio non stop in an attempt to find a 4G signal. Leave you iphone on in a non 3G area and see how quickly it kills the battery.

I've used all versions of the iPhone and depending what is turned on I can make it last all day, or last an hour and a half. It's all very much subject to not only what is enabled on the phone, but also as to how well of a 3G/4G coverage area is.

clickclack and blake247 like this.
  9. Sassy_Lina

Sassy_Lina Well-Known Member

Ah please. You were probably on the fence before this review. So it's best you find out now that you really don't want to change from your iPhone. I mean no harm but it was obvious all throughout that review that he wasn't open to the Evo.

10. Clock

Clock Well-Known Member

I'm not the type to say that any negative review about the EVO is some horrible abomination, but that review was horrible. Look at the comments section of it. You should be able to put that together in your own head.

11. CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue Member

wouldn't it be Apple(s) to little green robot looking thingees???:D:p

12. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

It takes a bit of tweaking to maximize the battery life. I guarantee the battery is nowhere near as bad as these reviews are making it seem. I have absolutely no doubts about the battery being able to last me a full 2 days. Even though I charge my Droid every night, it's usually got about 70% left at the end of the day, after good use.

13. mx7

mx7 Well-Known Member

trolololololll

14. dsa1971

dsa1971 Active Member

Doesn't Sprint give you 30 days to return the phone anyway? The EVO reviews have mostly been positive. Every phone has negatives. How long did it Apple to add copy and paste? Landscape keyboard for SMS? It's all relative. I also take all reviews with a grain of salt. TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Engadget, etc. For the most part they're not about giving moderate reviews. They're about getting people to their site. I think "real" reviews will start coming out once people are using the phone for a few weeks or maybe even a month or two. That's when you get a real feel for the good and bad of a phone.

15. evoq

evoq Active Member

One of the replies to the article had this:

"We are still conducting our battery drain tests, but with moderate use and a 4G connection, the smartphone was able to last about 12 hours before needing a recharge."
    - Cnet

" I got more than 7 hours of talk time on 3G,"
    - PCmag (which is the most continuous talk time among the Iphone 3gs, the Nexus One, the Droid and the Droid Incredible http://www.pcmag.com/compare_products/0,1943,,00.... )

"We know what you're thinking, though: what about battery life? Amazingly, we got some three hours and 13 minutes of run time while using the EVO continuously as a 4G hotspot -- and when we say "continuously," we mean we were streaming high-quality audio the entire time. What's more, the phone wasn't even fresh off the charger when we started; it had been on and in heavy use for two hours and four minutes prior. Bottom line, this thing seems to be a champion on a 1500mAh battery; we can't even begin to fathom what a massive aftermarket pack would do to it." - Engadget

Clearly, there are reports of it lasting more than 4 hours. However, it depends on what you have running on it. Some of the folks on this forum who used task killers have been able to stretch it to more than a day.

I'm an iPad user who never bought an iPhone (I have a BB curve 8310 that's not even 3G) and I'm considering giving Evo a try purely, and ironically, because of the iPad, which happens to be a non-3G model. So essentially I'm considering Evo for the hotspot feature more than anything else. My currently solution is the Clear Spot wifi hotspot from Clear, and that device lasts only about 2 hours (in Chicago, where 4G is plentiful). So to me, even 2 hours with wifi hotspot feature is attractive, considering the fact that a dedicated device lasts only 2 hours.

If battery is your main concern, then you have the option to try the phone for 30 days and make your decision based on your needs. If the new iPhone's battery is anything like that of an iPad (10 hours of continuous use), then you might find that more attractive. But Sprint's 30-day policy lets you try the device without much risk.

skpd, ferbs027 and ssma like this.
  16. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

If you're so worried about battery life...just don't get the phone. You'll just miss out. I'll be enjoying mine and that's all that matters.

VGPOP likes this.
  17. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

These reviews are getting insane, along with the Threads! News Flash, all of the new HTC devices have crappy battery life. There is nothing anyone can do, neither us, HTC, or Sprint. So in English.... Can we please stop the belly aching about I don't know if I'm getting the phone cause the battery suxxx. The new iPhones battery will suck to if it has a crazy screen that pulls alot of juice. In any event, it's livable, u just have to set ur phone up right, and have a spare charger in the car or office, and your fine. The trade off will be a sick device, if it lives up to the hype. Which I hope it does!

VGPOP likes this.
  18. Bales

Bales Well-Known Member

That article should NOT be taken as a review. Read the article carefully and you will see him nitpicking anything he can about the phone.

First he complains about 4g being a detriment to the phone. In same paragraph he ADMITS that he wasn't even able to test this. Instead, he picks the worst reviews he can, and quotes them. He ignores the reviews, like the Engadget review, that talk favorably about the battery and 4g.

Then he complains about the default clock widget that can be removed with the swipe of a finger. He makes his comparison to the iPhone in the strictest sense. The iPhone comes with no ability to customize the UI, and he treats the Evo the same way. Don't like the on screen keyboard? There are many others to choose from in the market. Don't like the browser? Ditto there. He doesn't take into consideration that with Android, the user has CHOICE.

This author has lost all credibility as a reviewer. He proves in this article that he cannot remain objective. He even goes so far as to admit this judging by his comments to the people who dispute his claims.

prettyb, JustFrozen, Bootup and 3 others like this.
  19. burgertime

burgertime Well-Known Member

I always chuckle when I see folks complain about battery usage. Let me tell you something my girlfriend and I don't use our phone all day yet the battery might last 12 hours on both of ours. I have a Palm Pre and she has an iPhone. If I use mine just regularly it MIGHT last 8 hours. The batteries on the Pre is just crap yet most of the reviews said it was great. Since I'm already used to this I think I can handle that issue on the Evo.

20. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Any smartphone that can do the job of several of your appliances at the same time is gonna suck some of the battery life. If you are gonna use it, the battery will drain some. Buy a car charger if you spend a bit of time in your car, take your wall charger to work with you if you work long hours, and get one of several good task killer apps to shut down the apps that you don't want running all day long. Voila! Problem solved.
    :)

21. bunnymud

bunnymud Well-Known Member

Boils down to bitter iPhone users(not all of them). They harp on the battery life because there is little else TO harp on.

My question to that reviewer is what does he have to do with his iPhone when the battery goes completely dead in his iPhone?

22. ekt8750

ekt8750 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't he have to wait for the iPhone 7G for that?

skpd, tp2386, nikkihp79 and 2 others like this.
  23. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

Although most of you seem to think otherwise, that article does make some good points. The battery life is indeed horrible! My Evo dies predictably at the end of my 8-9 hour work day. Meanwhile, my Droid would still be running along at ~70% battery life (and it's overclocked at 1.2ghz!). The reviewer sees the same "Cell Standby" issue that I've brought up in my own thread http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/85140-cell-standby-issue.html

The screen is also "too big", which the reviewer states has its own pros and cons. making the phone uncomfortable to hold is one of them.

Overall, I'd say a pretty accurate review. Though he didn't underscore some of the Evo's key strengths over the iPhone as much as some people would have liked. Everyone is calling him an "iPhone fanboy", but it seems to me like everyone here is an "Evo fanboy" instead :p me included of course.

24. Bootup

Bootup Member

19 positive professional reviews out there and you find the need to put faith in this overly bias piece? My comments left on that site are already ringing true (I said there will be a lemmings mentality where people will take this garbage as the law...). I got at least 5 tweets/retweets of this article in the last 24 hours. A damn shame..

25. bunnymud

bunnymud Well-Known Member

Doesn't he call himself an Apple fanboy in the title of the article?

skpd likes this.