• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bad service, battery thrashing?

joehero

Nov 23, 2009
I know this has been touched on other places. But I can't find anyone who has found a solution or heard from HTC/Verizon avout help.

Over the weekend I can get 24 hours of battery on a charge with semi-moderate usage, but at work (where my signal is crap, constantly switching between 1x and 3g) My battery is usually dead by 2 PM (about 6 hours).

Has anyone found any way to counter this without turning off the phone? My texts and voice calls come through perfectly fine, but the data seems to be a total drain.

I heard rumors of an HTC update that will help reception issues and battery life. Any truth?

I know this has been touched on other places. But I can't find anyone who has found a solution or heard from HTC/Verizon avout help.

Over the weekend I can get 24 hours of battery on a charge with semi-moderate usage, but at work (where my signal is crap, constantly switching between 1x and 3g) My battery is usually dead by 2 PM (about 6 hours).

Has anyone found any way to counter this without turning off the phone? My texts and voice calls come through perfectly fine, but the data seems to be a total drain.

I heard rumors of an HTC update that will help reception issues and battery life. Any truth?

You could just turn off 3G so it stops trying to connect to it. You won't get any data service obviously, but your texts and phone calls will still come through.

There may be updates that improve battery life in general through tweaks and such, but that won't do anything about the root cause of your issue here.

There isn't really anything they can do about the fact that searching for service is draining on the battery, that's just the way it it. All phones are like this, you're just noticing it more now because your phone has an already pretty weak battery life.

My old Alias would last MANY days without a charge, but would be dead before the work day was through if I was in some backwoods location with no signal and forgot to turn the phone off.

Upvote 0
I've got simular problem on my Incredible. I'm actually fed up with it cause anywhere in or near the city with 3G connection and 3 bars, im getting 20kbps data speeds. If verizon is going to make it mandatory to have the $30 data plan then I wanna get what I'm paying for.

Going to try to bring my phone in to a store and have it exchanged or maybe just downgrade to the moto droid till the antenna issues are resolved.

Upvote 0
You could just turn off 3G so it stops trying to connect to it. You won't get any data service obviously, but your texts and phone calls will still come through.

Just to be accurate here, that's not turning off 3G, that's turning off the data network.

I live in a fairly poor signal area and the switching between 1x and 3G really does drain the battery.

With previous phones (last being touch pro), I actually had an easy way to disable 3G data, while leaving 1x data on. It made a big difference. Of course, sucks to try to use data on 1x though, but at least you could.

I did see a way to disable 3G on the Incredible, but it seems a pretty big pain to go back and forth and I haven't tried it.

I have the method at home, so I can try to post it later this evening. PM me if I forget.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones