Bad things after owning for 5 daysSupport

1. kash_htcdesire

kash_htcdesire Active Member

the phone is awesome, we all know this. so im not going to bother with the pro's, and instead focus on the few things that are annoying me or that i do not know about.

firstly, the lack of gmail widget. i dont know if im being stupid but there is no gmail widget and i use that more than the normal email client for which there is a widget. is there any way around this or is it a case of wait for the ICS update and see what happens or just root the phone?

secondly, the horrific amount of lag that i get when i press the power button to wake the phone up. there can be literally a 2-3 second lag and this is completely unacceptable, especially of a phone with such a powerful processor

thirdly, when using this as a phone, when its against my ear the top of the phone is quite sharp and gives a rather uncomfortable calling experience, thank god for handsfree kits i suppose!

oh and the lack of an led notification light is just criminal! other than that i do love this phone :)

finally, this is something that i would have wished came with the phone as a feature but didnt. am i the only one who would have preferred the home button to be optical so it could be used to swipe/navigate? maybe being an old htc desire user I am used to an optical pad.

Advertisement
  2. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

I am actually getting a little tired of the lag - I thought I had it cracked using LA4 rom but its back with multiple apps open...I'm really hoping ICS will sort it.

LED doesnt bother me but you can get apps called NOLED that add an onscreen notification.

You are an ex HTC user - I had the same coming from Desire to S2! lol

Not aware of an ear problem tho...
  3. itsrijo

itsrijo Well-Known Member

Yes there is a bit of lag to wake up the screen about 2 or 3 seconds.........but I've found that instead of taping the unlock button if you hold it for a second the lag is gone.....please try it cuz am not really sure if am just imagining it

And about the ear problem....I find the speaker quite sharp edged so I have to hold it in a certain way not to hurt my ear
  4. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member

I have come from the HTC Desire too - it was a great phone for its time, and usability wise was out of the box a lot better than the Note.

That said - there has never been a widget for the gmail app, why were you expecting one on the Note? ;-)

With the regard to the lag, I find there is next to no lag if you use the power button to unlock the phone, and a second or two lag if you use the home key to unlock it. Maybe the home key's primary function is checked first, then it turns the screen on, hence the lag?
  5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

My Galaxy Tab 7.0 has a Gmail widget...and this with a lower screen resolution than the Note. ;-)
  6. kash_htcdesire

bonerp (what a name lol) i've heard the LED apps take a lot of battery so not really tried them to be honest. the lag is annoying when im showing others (usually iphoners) why the note is so awesome and the first thing on show is lag! grrrrrrrr

itsrijo i've actually begun pressing the button longer just so i trick myself into thinking it takes less time for the screen to turn on, quite pathetic i have to do that to be honest!

biscuitlad the home key lags because its waiting to see if the user will press it again (when locked pressing home twice brings up voice actions), so i only use the power button. regarding the gmail, i had the widget on the awesome ICS rom that was put together for the desire and the resizeable gmail widget was so useful that its a big negative that i dont have it on the note (yet!).
  7. kash_htcdesire

also, is there a way i can get the lockscreen to stay on for longer than 1-2 seconds? sometimes i like to admire the awesome screen by pressing the phone wake button but the screen turns of really quickly and i've looked in settings but im guessing i've missed it somewhere!
  8. itsrijo

itsrijo Well-Known Member

install any "screen always on "app from the market...even your lock screen won't turn off then.....
  9. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I don't have any lag when i wake the phone.
  10. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Same. Newer firmwares fix this issue.

That and I would never use my phone without rooting. A custom kernel can do wonders ;)
  11. kash_htcdesire

just before i came to this thread, i even did the long press wake and it still took approx 2-3 seconds to wake :confused: whats the latest firmware? kies sayin its up to date?
  12. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Don't use Kies. Use Odin or flash. :D

Latest firmware is LB2. I'm using LB1 and I really like it.
  13. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I still had lag on waking the phone, even on custom ROMS (although they were definitely better than stock in that regard). On ICS that lag is gone completely, as are the little lags in general use that are present in GB ROMs. Loving it and highly recommend Rooting and getting onto the leaked ICS firmware.
  14. kash_htcdesire

initial plan was to just wait for the ics release to come out, with the s2 pencilled in for mid march i cant see the note taking too much longer. im also very wary of bricking my phone somehow so unless there was an idiot proof guide (yes, i am indeed an idiot), i would stay away. that is of course until the lag becomes so annoying that i want to murder someone, then ill go an root it :D
  15. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

Have you tried LA4 or LB1 via odin? LA4 is better but not perfect. I downloaded LB1 last night and will try that later.

Updating f/w via Odin is a piece of p*** and don't need to root. Just follow instructions on XDA or samfirmware.com. Use a non wipe rom and you can restore back if needed.

If does mean you can't use Kies to upgrade in future but as you will have access to newer versions much sooner than them being available on kies, who cares.
  16. biscuitlad

Ah, that explains it - hadn't realised you'd put ICS on your desire. Is it possible the lag is down to something you're running?

FWITW, my Note doesn't launch voice actions from the lock screen, no matter what settings I choose. But there's no lag!

As for stopping the lockscreen disappearing after 5 seconds or whatever it is - I haven't found a cure. Changing the settings doesn't seem to have any effect.
  17. kash_htcdesire

my firmware is on KKA :S and ive looked on youtube for a video on odin, but couldnt find a good one, could you possibly give me a quick guide pleeeeeeeease :) :) P)
  18. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Head to my blog, guides for Root with lots of screen grabs, video accompaniments, and everything you need to know about Odin (link in my sig, use the search bar to find the Root post or get there via the nav bar "How To's" then "At Your Own Risk"). Also have a guide for flashing ICS. I'm trying to aim for fool proof, and so far nobody seems to have gone awry following the guides!
  19. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

Lots of info on flashing
    [STOCK ROMS] N7000 All stock ROMs + install + Root guide All at 1 place,Latest DDLB2 - xda-developers

firmware
    SamMobile Firmware Page

flashguide
    SamMobile Firmware Page

I'm now on the open germany fw xxLB1 and it seems to be excellent. When you flash try to use non wipe fw.

Download the file, extract it, stick the filename in PDA, dont tick re-partition, tick auto reboot and tick f.reset.time. Use Odin 1.85 from sammobile.

easy
  20. mobi323

mobi323 Active Member

My Note had Gmail widget straight from the box.
  21. biscuitlad

Really? Mine had the Samsung email widget - but not from the gmail app. I have gmail v2.3.5.2 - seems to be the latest. No widget offered on mine, unless it's Android specific.
  22. kash_htcdesire

bonerp and nztechfreak, i shall venture into this once i get home from work!

mobi 323 can u take a screenshot and show us please? i find it very strange for it to randomly be on one phone but not the other?? thanks :)
  23. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member

24. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member

25. kash_htcdesire

Hey vicdude, thanks for uploading (loving the use of the pen lol), but thats not a widget, thats just a shortcut. a widget is something that would allow you to see the contents of your inbox without opening the app, hence its incredible usefulness! thanks again tho!