Bad TWRP recovery?

1. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Before flashing a rom, I wiped cache, dalvik cache, system and factory reset using TWRP. But after I flash the ROM instead of all of my apps being gone most of them are still there. This is not normal, right? I think I need to re flash my recovery or is this a problem with TWRP. Should I use clockwork?

Reflash the recovery. This isn't normal and has never happened to me.

Advertisement
    :
  2. frenchy714

frenchy714 Well-Known Member

What version of TWRP are you on?
    slyd and An UrgeTo Dance like this.
  3. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Not sure how to tell on my phone. I'm not at home. Root explorer says rwxrwxx
  4. number1pb

number1pb Member

Boot into recovery and it will tell you at the top of the screen what version of TWRP you have.
    frenchy714, slyd and An UrgeTo Dance like this.
  5. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

6. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

I would try pushing recovery again. You may also want to download the recovery again, you may have gotten a bad download.
    frenchy714 and slyd like this.
  7. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Okay. Will do. Thanks a million.
  8. frenchy714

TWRP is up to 2.2.0 at this point, may want to flash that. Here's a link to Team Win's site where you can download the image file and flash through fastboot. Let us know if you need any help. You can also dl/flash TWRP through Goo Manager. That is the easier way of installation.
    slyd likes this.
  9. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

I have goo manager and the 2.2.0 img file. How do I use goo manager to do this?
  10. frenchy714

Typically if you downloaded the zip file you'll have an option to flash....If you have the img file, I would just flash in fastboot. Have you ever flashed an img file through fastboot?
  11. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

img file is what was on the TWRP site. I'm sure I have, just don't remember how. I can look it up unless you can take a minute.
  12. frenchy714

No problem. It's easy enough to explain.

1. First you wanna dl fastboot (if you haven't already), here's the link.

2. Extract the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it.

3. Copy the .img file downloaded (TWRP 2.2.0) to the Fastboot folder on C drive. You should have 5 files in the Fastboot folder now.

4. Enter fastboot mode. To do this, turn off the phone, then press and hold the following keys together: Power + Volume Up and Down. You will enter Fastboot mode. Then connect your phone to the computer once you are in fastboot mode.

5. Open Command Prompt on your computer from Start
  13. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

wow. thanks! cooking dinner for the kids and hubby now. will sit an do this after dinner.
    thanks. thanks. thanks.
  14. frenchy714

Np. Let me know if you run into any snags.
  15. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

If you used the guide on here to root (or probably any other not one click root guide) you should already have fastboot installed. Also if you are using a Mac or Linux make sure you use the ./fastboot instead of just fastboot.
    AARONONE, slyd and frenchy714 like this.
  16. frenchy714

True! I completely forgot about that!
  17. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

okay. thank you for the very detailed directions. I had no problems. I checked goo manager and I have the new recovery.
    I followed the QBKing youtube videos to root so this was a little different. I really prefer to have written instructions.
    I miss my og Evo but it is a comfort seeing old friends over here. Now as Ocean says "I'm going to go get my flash on". Thanks a million.
    frenchy714 likes this.
  18. frenchy714

No worries! Was this the first time (outside of when you rooted) you flashed something in fastboot? If so, it's a great thing to learn how to do! I prefer flashing things via fastboot over zip files when it's available, files are less likely to get corrupt while flashing if done this way; zip files can.
    AARONONE likes this.
  19. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

Yes, I usually flash zips. Do ROMs come as image files too?
  20. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

BTW, these instructions should get put in a guide somewhere if they aren't already..
    frenchy714 likes this.
  21. frenchy714

I don't think so. I'm sure they can be but I've never flashed a ROM via fastboot. Kernel's and recoveries are the most common things I flash in fastboot.
    AARONONE likes this.