• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ballistic SG case review with lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Ballistic SG case for Note 2. Samsung Galaxy Note II Ballistic Shell Gel SG Series Case | goballisticcase.com

What do you think is the first thing that comes to Ballistic case users mind when you asked them about the case? I can bet you they will say "Ballistic corners!" This is probably one of the few cases that explicitly states on its packaging "Engineered Drop Protection" and actually puts it in writing as drop tested for up to 10 feet. Once you take this case out of the box - you will have no doubt they are serious about this claim.

The case comes in 2 pieces. Inner soft silicone layer with enhanced corner protection, and outer piece which consist of high impact PC layer molded with another outer textured shock absorbent layer. Inner silicone layer has all the precise cutouts which align perfectly with a phone. All the ports are open, while volume/power buttons are covered. Due to the nature of a silicone material, you will have no issues pressing buttons, and they provide a very nice tactile feedback. At the same time, expect it to be a lint magnet, as you can see it from my pictures :) The outer shell is very tough and covers the entire back of the phone, wrapping around its sides. It doesn't wrap around top/bottom where you have thick silicon bumper with enhanced Ballistic corners. Btw, that silicone part of the inner shell at the top and the bottom will pull, but it shouldn't give you any concerns about phone protection. Either laid flat on the screen or on the back - phone is raised and protected to take a lot of abuse. Plus, the outer molded shock absorbent polymer layer is nicely textured and will provide you with a good hand grip as well as surface grip. Also, it makes it easier to take out of your pocket.

Overall its a high quality case that will give you a great piece of mind if dropped. Of course, additional layers of security will add to the thickness and the weight of Note 2, but that's expected. Although I'm personally not a fan of port covers and kind of glad this case doesn't have it, at the same time I was a bit surprised this case didn't offer it since it's being catered to users who require extra level of protection and most likely will use their case in harsher environment. This case is definitely something to consider if you are looking for a rugged case with a great drop protection!

And now, here comes the pictures!

ballistic_n2-01_zpse2bc3073.jpg

ballistic_n2-02_zps064e0427.jpg

ballistic_n2-03_zps36077f17.jpg

ballistic_n2-04_zps923ef95f.jpg

ballistic_n2-05_zps64e4487b.jpg

ballistic_n2-06_zpse0756604.jpg

ballistic_n2-07_zps3a37a855.jpg

ballistic_n2-08_zps3eaf8c42.jpg

ballistic_n2-09_zps78aa7500.jpg

ballistic_n2-10_zps3505e655.jpg

ballistic_n2-11_zps0be6d703.jpg

ballistic_n2-12_zps1ac8b540.jpg

ballistic_n2-13_zpsc94f0c5f.jpg

ballistic_n2-14_zps41b6e4d1.jpg

ballistic_n2-15_zpsc3fbcb46.jpg

ballistic_n2-16_zps9f92ad4e.jpg

ballistic_n2-17_zps4e18557d.jpg

ballistic_n2-18_zpsb0d4f746.jpg

ballistic_n2-19_zps6f217306.jpg

ballistic_n2-20_zpsa9468138.jpg

ballistic_n2-21_zps0c0ff48f.jpg

Reactions: m00se and soulstlr
Hi, it doesn't look anymore drop proof than the otterbox commuter very similar overall design. Good to see a company actually back it up though.

Similar, but not the same. Ballistic corner protection is a lot beefier and outer shell has PC and additional shock absorption layer with a non-slip surface vs Commuter having just a slippery PC layer.

Upvote 0
Fair point, bet you are still not willing to drop your phone to prove the technology? I'm on my 2nd phone after I dropped the 1st unprotected phone from a small height and was horrified by the amount of damage. Had the new one in a sturdy case ever since purchase. The ballistic looks quite military imo so will have that angle too.

Upvote 0
I know exactly what you mean. You get this awesome piece of technology and want to show it off, but paranoid to break it. That's when we start going through different cases trying to figure out a compromise between the slimness and protection. It's just a matter of priorities. If you read through some of the AF posts about "just dropped my phone, screen is cracked...", you will also find another group of people who choose to keep their phone slim while investing into warranty protection. That's another price to pay ;)

Upvote 0
I have this case on my phone. The outer shell has a texture to it that looks grippy. It isn't. In fact it is slick and doesn't feel very pleasing. It feels kinda clammy with just the slightest moisture (sweat, high humidity). I'm still on the hunt for my perfect case. The drop/shock protection does seem pretty good.

Upvote 0
i must respectfully disagree with your assessment...
it is not as slippery as all its competitors.
i have used this case exclusively since trying many others that indeed were slick as snot.
i live near the grand canyon and almost weekly run the river with friends that are guides.
just recently there was a huge water release from glen canyon dam and we decided it was an opportune time to run the river and enjoy monumental rapids.
i was videotaping the ride when i remembered that around the corner was a monster fall and prudently decided to case my note 2...
btw: i also backpack quite a bit and use the pelican 1040 micro case (Pelican

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones