Bandwidth Usage?Support

Last Updated:

1. Galroc

Galroc Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying to track down a rogue application that seems to be receiving massive amounts of data. On the iPhone, I would use about 200mb/month due to WiFi at work and at home. However, on the Samsung Captivate, I can go from 100MB/month to 2+GB/month! I noticed huge amounts of data being used on my commutes to and from work.

On occasion, my home WiFi/DSL would get so lagged due to my Captivate being on the network that my son would complain and I would then put the phone in air plane mode.

I reasoned that if it was happening on my WiFi network, as well as 3G, then perhaps I could using my router to log the activity to see what sites my phone was trying to connect to, then perhaps I could pinpoint the offending application.

My phone was connecting to a website that was part of a posting that was on facebook, which was only showing on the Samsung "Feeds and Updates" widget. I wasn't running the native facebook application at the time.

I had the "Feeds and Updates" widget set to never update, unless I manually did it. Why was it trying to connect when it shouldn't have been? Don't know. Am I certain that this widget was the offending application? Not sure. Since removing the widget, I haven't had any bandwidth spikes.

Any others notice this?

PS. I tried Droid Wall, but it fails to work.

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

3. Galroc

Galroc Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, that is the error I was getting with Droid Wall. Looks like the dev fixed the problem, and perhaps we will see a new version soon.

Good news is that I haven't seen a data spike since removing Samsung Feed and Updates Widget, but it has only been a few days and previously I could go weeks without a data spike, even with the widget installed.