• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Banging ... Head ... Against ... Wall ...

April_Fool_79

Nov 28, 2009
Lynn Haven, FL
So we decided to install a custom ROM on mom's phone, because frankly, the stock Sprint ROM *SUCKS* (I shoulda known better .....). It apparently doesn't have root access (as determined by going to ConnectBot and typing su, it tells me something like doesn't have permission, I forgot exactly what, and now I can't get back to it), so I was trying to update it to root it. Downloaded the updater, followed the steps in this post, and ran the updater. It said it installed the USB driver, but the Modem driver failed. Now the phone won't turn back on, it hangs at the Samsung screen. Anyone have any idea what the heck happened, or how to fix it? I have to give this thing to my mom tomorrow.

I'm on Win7 if it makes a difference.

*** EDIT:

OK, these are the exact steps I was following.

Control Panel > Uninstall Programs and uninstalled SamsungSimplyDL and SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones V5.2.0.0.

Control Panel > Device Manager and made sure nothing said Samsung or Android anywhere.

Went into Registry Editor and removed the SamsungPST folder from HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software and the SAMSUNG folder from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software.

Rebooted computer w/o a phone attached.

Went to http://forum.sdx-developers.com/and...e03-2-1-with-sdx-custom-recovery-and-beyond!/ and downloaded Original Sprint Update Tool from CL14, and joeykrim's SDX recovery 2.1.3.

Ran SamsungMoment_Update_CL14.exe. This time something new happened. Got "error reading setup initialization file".

AARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!! Between this, fighting with NASCAR's TrackPass app, and fighting with my internet connection today, it's a wonder I haven't thrown something through a wall yet.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones