Banned for roaming data.

1. uzfresh

uzfresh Active Member

I got banned for using too much roaming data. Does anyone know before I call sprint tomorrow if I am still able to port my number or do I have to start all over?

Advertisement
    :
  2. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I see this happening more and more. Were you using the verizon prl or just tethering too much?

As for the number you own it so there shouldn't be any trouble porting it. Usually the number is still active during the port but if memory serves you have like 6 months to move the number. Maybe check with the company you're moving it to first to verify.
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Moved into the main forum because this isn't root specific.

That sucks, though. :( My question is: How much is too much?
  4. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

This is very interesting, you are with Sprint correct?? what plan are you on, do you have an unlimited plan?? how do you know you were banned, were you notified?? please report back, I be curious to hear these answers

5. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

I do know that we have unlimited data as long as we are on the Sprint network. While we do have free roaming, they don't like it if over 50% of your use is roaming. People are installing more and more of these roam control apps which forces your roaming, thinking they can use Verizon's network all the time but get Sprint's cheap prices. This can get you into trouble real quick. Since this person wasn't rooted then (s)he probably wasn't using one of those but it is still something people need to be aware and careful of.
  6. jerofld

We can't assume the OP is not rooted. I did move the thread from the root subsection, after all :)

I always thought there was a threshold. If you used more than the threshold's limit on roaming data, it would flag your account. If you flagged 3 times within 6 months (maybe even a year), it'd be put up for review. What I just said is pure conjecture, so don't quote me on it, as I have no source information on how Sprint actually does it. I just assume it's a system like that. I also don't mean to insult you, Carrie, but percentages just seems...odd. If it's a percentage, people can exploit percentages. Like I could use 5 GB on the Sprint network and use 2 GB on the VZW network and still be under that percentage. Or I could use 200 MB on Sprint and 500 MB on Verizon and be flagged for too much roaming.
  7. jerofld

Technically, yes. But our cell carriers rather us just purchase a tethering service. Verizon reroutes people that try to tether for free to a site to buy a tethering package.
  8. uzfresh

uzfresh Active Member

I was on the everything plus plan with the 10 dollar "premium" data fee. I had been on that plan since 2009 when I switched from ATT and got the HTC Hero. I was not using the Verizon PRI. I was using whatever the current sprint PRI was. I was rooted with HTC method. I used many different ROMS, CleanROM, Senseless ROM, and Infected ROM most currently. I was sent a letter in the mail dated 12/1 but I didnt get it until 12/14. My phone stopped working on 12/12 so I emailed them and got the following response.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your prompt reply. In 10/2011, we contacted you to make sure that you were aware of the terms of your data plan. As a reminder, the roaming terms and conditions for Sprint roaming-included plans are:
    Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds:
    (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes.

As part of our last communication with you, we also pointed out that your level of data roaming use violated the terms of our roaming-included service plans. Our intent in contacting you previously was to give you an opportunity to change your usage habits to be in line with the terms of your plan. Because your overall usage continues to exceed off-network roaming limits which is in violation of your data plan, we regret to inform you that your wireless service was terminated effective 12/12/2011. In addition, we will waive any applicable Early Termination Fee and monthly recurring charges for your plan on your last month
  9. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

So you are switching to Verizon, and leaving Sprint, you will most likely have the same issue with Verizon if you roam with them also.
  10. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

If he was roaming with Sprint, chances are the towers he was roaming on were Verizon, so he won't have that issue with Verizon.
  11. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

No offense taken. :) I recall seeing a post in the Sprint section a while back about this and at that time the TOS actually mentioned the 50 percent.
  12. jasonacg

jasonacg Well-Known Member

Aside from another way for them to generate revenue, I can't think of any good reason.

Most carriers charge approximately $30 per month, in exchange for the ability to tether "above the table." Since it doesn't involve any additional equipment, and the extra burden on the network is probably minimal, it's virtually a pure profit product for the carrier.
  13. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I guess when I'm ready to go to verizon I'll just load verizon prl's on my phones and run a few big torrents through them. It's almost too easy.
  14. If your Sprint account has been cancelled, you would not be able to port your number. In order to port a number from one carrier to another, it has to stay open and active on the original carrier until the port is complete. Once your account has been cancelled, the phone number is recycled.
  15. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Not true. The carrier has to hang on the the number for a certain period of time.

Wireless Local Number Portability (WLNP) | FCC.gov
  16. DMajor239

DMajor239 Well-Known Member

I have a quick question. If I update my prl while roaming will I ge
    introuble with sprint?
  17. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I hate being banned from things =(
  18. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Why would that get you into trouble... I doubt that. ( The Preferred Roaming List, basically a way of telling your phone which towers to connect to first..).
  19. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

Using Settings > About phone > System updates >Update PRL will use only service-provider's PRLs to improve phone performance while out of home area. There should be no billing trouble.
    BenChase7, DMajor239 and la sal like this.
  20. DMajor239

DMajor239 Well-Known Member

21. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

how are you "banned" again??
    and how are you posting??
  22. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd New Member

Did you actually get banned, or just the current contract terminated?

Does getting g out of your contract with roam control get you banned for life, or is there any set amount of time you are banned for?
  23. falconey

falconey Well-Known Member

You brought back a year old thread man.
  24. simcha

simcha Well-Known Member

How did this thread get necroed? I just wasted time reading it to get caught up... Grrrr.