• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Barcode Scanner Apps -- Ones that WORK with EVO?

I've tried a number of different Barcode Scanner apps with my Evo and have run into the same problem with all of them: they keep trying to auto focus and can't seem to capture the barcode. I don't know if this is a problem with the interface between the autofocus on the EVO 8.0 Megapix. camera and the applications or if it is something to do with my lighting; I'm using it indoors with comfortable incandescent lighting, but not bright task lighting and the camera shows the image as fairly red skewed, as if it is a lower light situation.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Viv.

do you still have your plastic cover on it?

Check this, seriously. If you just barely pulled it out of the box or haven't made a point of taking the back cover off to pull the plastic off of the camera lens you're going to be very frustrated wondering why, despite having an 8MP camera, all of your pictures are terrible.

edit: to answer your original question: Barcode Scanner

Reactions: netdiva42
Upvote 0
I have found barcode scanner to work in any light condition. The trick is to get the phone the right distance away from the bar code that you are trying to scan. I usually start at about 6 inches and work my way further away from that starting point giving it a couple seconds to try and read everytime I move it an inch or two. Usually I get results within about 10 seconds.

Upvote 0
does anyone have any issues trying to get a barcode of contacts to show with barcode scanner, I tired to share a contact but doesnt pull up names,

friend has a motorola droid, and he can share right from his contacts as well. Im not sure if i am missing a setting or something?

Didn't even know it had that feature! Mine does the same thing, for contacts it shows numbers and no contact pictures. Strange. I'm going to write to the developer.

Upvote 0
Adding an option to turn on the LED would be a great addition to the barcode scanner app.

Heck, for that matter, why can't we turn on the LED light when we shoot videos? Kind of weird for HTC to put a flash on the phone but not allow the video camera to use it...

Well the theory is that if you allow these types of led's to stay on, there is a potential for damage.

Upvote 0
Well the theory is that if you allow these types of led's to stay on, there is a potential for damage.

Well I never had any problem on any of my previous phones. This is the first phone that had an LED that didn't allow me to use it for video.

What kind of damage does it supposedly do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones