Barcode Scanner Apps -- Ones that WORK with EVO?Tips

1. Vivid Confusion

Vivid Confusion New Member

I've tried a number of different Barcode Scanner apps with my Evo and have run into the same problem with all of them: they keep trying to auto focus and can't seem to capture the barcode. I don't know if this is a problem with the interface between the autofocus on the EVO 8.0 Megapix. camera and the applications or if it is something to do with my lighting; I'm using it indoors with comfortable incandescent lighting, but not bright task lighting and the camera shows the image as fairly red skewed, as if it is a lower light situation.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Viv.

Advertisement
  2. InTheRough

InTheRough Well-Known Member

I'm using Barcode Scanner and it works well for me. One thing you might try is backing up a little, clean the lens?
  3. mistax

mistax Well-Known Member

do you still have your plastic cover on it?
    netdiva42 likes this.
  4. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

Check this, seriously. If you just barely pulled it out of the box or haven't made a point of taking the back cover off to pull the plastic off of the camera lens you're going to be very frustrated wondering why, despite having an 8MP camera, all of your pictures are terrible.

edit: to answer your original question: Barcode Scanner
    netdiva42 likes this.
  5. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I had no problems with Barcode Scanner... that's the only one I use on all my 'Droids
  6. septro

septro Well-Known Member

Nah I noticed it too - the autofocus happens a lot in mid to low-light conditions. My advice: try to shoot in as a bright a light as possible and hold the camera very very still with the scan target about 6inches away from the camera lens.
  7. seasapart

seasapart Member

Yes its definitely a lighting issue. In low light it will keep trying to auto focus as i have noticed. In bright light it will scan in seconds. Its all about the lighting you are in. The brighter the better.

And i am using Barcode Scanner
  8. hopalee

hopalee Well-Known Member

I was having the same problem and getting extremely irritated. Guess I'll try again with better light and further away!
  9. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

I've been using Barcode Scanner and ShopSavvy in various lighting conditions and not having any trouble.
  10. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

If low light conditions are the problem then try using the app "LED Light". It's a widget that turns on and off your LED flash.
    EvoMike, Vivid Confusion and wvuametz like this.
  11. dave01978

dave01978 Active Member

does anyone have any issues trying to get a barcode of contacts to show with barcode scanner, I tired to share a contact but doesnt pull up names,

friend has a motorola droid, and he can share right from his contacts as well. Im not sure if i am missing a setting or something?
  12. subver

subver Member

if you toggle your camera options, do these transfer to apps that use the camera? i.e. Barcode Scanner, you could adjust the brightness/contrast/ISO maybe?
  13. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

I have found barcode scanner to work in any light condition. The trick is to get the phone the right distance away from the bar code that you are trying to scan. I usually start at about 6 inches and work my way further away from that starting point giving it a couple seconds to try and read everytime I move it an inch or two. Usually I get results within about 10 seconds.
  14. cj08902

cj08902 New Member

Shop Savy iz the best barcode scanner
  15. NicksGarage

Didn't even know it had that feature! Mine does the same thing, for contacts it shows numbers and no contact pictures. Strange. I'm going to write to the developer.
  16. wvuametz

wvuametz Member

I was having the exact same problem on ShopSavvy AND Barcode Scanner.

But after downloading "LED Light" from Android Market and throwing it on my screen as a widget (much more convenient), THE SCANS WORKED GREAT!

It is DEFINITELY all about the lighting.
  17. mitch27

mitch27 Member

I had the same problem, until I peeled off the plastic tape that protected the lens. lol
  18. Vivid Confusion

Vivid Confusion New Member

Thanks everyone that has replied! It has turned out to be the lighting issue. I'm going to download the LED Light app and use that with it in lower lighting.

Viv.
  19. thebrain

thebrain Active Member

If you press menu when in barcode scanner, there is an option to turn on the led lights. it even says it will improve low light scanning.

Never mind it does not turn on the led. sorry
  20. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to ask, is the plastic obvious? I don't think mine is on....
  21. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

Yes it's very obvious. It's a big rectangle piece that's much larger then the little circle lens.
    uniquenameEVO likes this.
  22. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member

Adding an option to turn on the LED would be a great addition to the barcode scanner app.

Heck, for that matter, why can't we turn on the LED light when we shoot videos? Kind of weird for HTC to put a flash on the phone but not allow the video camera to use it...
  23. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

Well the theory is that if you allow these types of led's to stay on, there is a potential for damage.

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member

Well I never had any problem on any of my previous phones. This is the first phone that had an LED that didn't allow me to use it for video.

What kind of damage does it supposedly do?
  25. NicksGarage

I think it's more of a battery conservation thing. They could have given the option though.