1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Barcode scanner - do they even work?

Last Updated:

1. MonarchX

MonarchX Member This Topic's Starter

I have Samsung Captivate and I downloaded bar code scanner. It supposed to read those square codes and bar codes. Well, I cannot get the camera to be focused perfectly on those squares or bars and the scanning never happens...am I doing something wrong?

Advertisement
  2. bobomatic

bobomatic Well-Known Member

yep they work.. i use shop savvy. its saved me some cash more the once! it will scan online and local prices. you scan, you show store employee, you ask, can you price match or do i get it here (lowest price on phone)

3. MonarchX

MonarchX Member This Topic's Starter

So I guess its crappy phone because I have yet to successfully scan any code...

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

It helps to have a flat surface like a box. Scanner is much less effective on cans and bottles

5. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

They work...they just take a bit of getting used to. One I find that works well is Barcode Scanner...give it a try. It's a freebie.

Barcode Scanner - Android app on AppBrain

6. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good point...I've never tried that. I have been able to easily scan from computer monitors though.

7. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

The trick with the Barcode Scanner app, is to make sure the bar-code is only inside the hi-lighted box with the red line going through the middle of it.

Some people try to get really close to the bar-code, and the image spills outside of that box, and thus doesn't work properly. Get as close the the bar-code as you can, but still keeping it in the scanner box and you'll get best results.

8. broadwayblue

broadwayblue Well-Known Member

I also find it helps if you hold the phone as still as possible...and the more light the better.

9. nybmx

nybmx Well-Known Member

I have a Captivate too and the barcode scanner works great. I've never had a problem with it. In fact I was impressed how well the camera and scanner worked together, and how easy it reads everything. Even with google goggles and the like. So I really doubt it's the phone.

10. vertigo4

vertigo4 Member

I agree with holding the phone still as possible... do that and just let the phone focus on the barcode. It might take a few seconds, but I've never had any problems with it.

11. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

I recently catalogued my accumulated books (about 760 at last count) with an app that interfaces with Barcode Scanner. The only times my DInc fails to focus is when the barcode isn't valid, there's not enough light, or I don't have the code inside the box properly.

12. ntdb

ntdb Active Member

This. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Captivate's camera. Barcode Scanner takes a second to focus and scan, be patient. :)

13. TasteNomNomNom

TasteNomNomNom Member

14. ntdb

ntdb Active Member

TasteNomNomNom likes this.
  15. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

Try ixMat scanner.

16. azgunz

azgunz Well-Known Member

I also have trouble with Barcode Scanner, its too touchy. Said screw that and have been using Google Goggles which is easier and does more

17. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member

"Barcode scanner" works fine on a San Francisco and Galaxy S2 phones but not on a Galaxy Tab 2 as the lens does not close focus.