1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Barcode Scanner that scans pictures?

Last Updated:

1. garie

garie New Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know of a barcode scanner app that will allow you to scan a picture of a barcode that is in your phone or SD card's memory, or allows you to scan a barcode in a browser? I feel like this is functionality that ought to exist, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

Advertisement
  2. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

3. garie

I just tried it on my phone and it gave an error. Maybe it can't read 2D barcodes? In any case, this isn't optimal as you have to download the barcode image and then upload it to this site. An app that can view your screen rather than the camera would be best.

4. thrawn86

there were at least a half dozen others when I googled it, haven't tried them personally. I thought you said you wanted to scan files that were already stored on your sdcard...?

help me out, what kind of situation is this dealing with?

5. garie

I'm looking for an application that can read a barcode from the phone's screen rather than from the camera. That's why I posted in applications. Ideally I wouldn't have to download the image from one site in order to upload it to another site, I could just fire up the barcode scanner and my browser at the same time.

6. thrawn86

I understand, but what I meant is are you trying to read android QR codes or store product bar codes or what?

what kind of person posts an android QR code without the corresponding link? I tried zxing, but it doesn't always get it right. just tried a random qr from appbrain
    ZXing Decoder Online

7. garie

I was browsing a blog on my phone about android apps and a guy had posted barcodes for apps and didn't include links. I know it's a dumb thing to do, but I would like to be able to scan them if it happens.

So, yeah, trying to read QR codes, but might as well include product barcodes as well.

I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to do... just put the phone's screen as input rather than the camera. It should be easier to scan also since (unless it's a photo of a barcode) it will be straight and perfectly focused.