Barcode Scanner to PC

Last Updated:

1. Joshua

Joshua Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all!

I have searched Hi and Low for a Barcode Scanner that will pair up with my PC to instantly input data.

Kinda like "Gmote" mixed with "Barcode Scanner"

either via ip or Bluetooth...

Ive tried Inventory, Inventory DROID, Barcode2file... But

Any thoughts or Ideas?

Advertisement
    gamepma likes this.
  2. Bill

Bill Well-Known Member

All the apps I have seen are standalone android apps.

Bill

gamepma likes this.
  3. marchold

marchold Well-Known Member

so where would the numbers be entered on the pc? In the clipboard so you scan on android and paste on pc? How would this work on the pc?

gamepma likes this.
  4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

My app listables does something similar, what kind of information did you want to pass to the PC?

gamepma likes this.
  5. Joshua

the info scanned would go into whatever field you have currenty clicked on... like scanning upc labels and serial numbers.

I will check out the listables app now :)

gamepma likes this.
  6. alostpacket

Hmm ok, I will look into this but wont be for awhile. I should have said my app does more like the opposite, it generates QR codes, not scans them.

What you are seeking should be relatively easy on the phone side, there is an open source barcode scanner what can handle running the cammera and grabbing the data. The Scanner has a good api for developers to tie in to also. The tricky part is passing that data somewhere useful.

Unfortunately I dont know enough about PC programming to program an app to capture the data from the USB driver of a phone.

But like my app, I could paste it to a clipboard, or email it or write to a file on the SD.

As I learn more though i'll pop back in this thread and see if I can put in some updates on what I find

gamepma and Joshua like this.
  7. bdrehmer

bdrehmer Member

I was thinking about writing an app to do this.

Barcode scanners generally either send their data to the PC over a serial port, or by pretending to be a keyboard (called a keyboard wedge). I think that the best idea is to have the phone on the same wifi network as the PC and then send the data to the PC over the network. As 'alostpacket' says, the phone side of it probably won't be too hard...just a matter of calling existing programs to do the scanning and then sending the data over the network.

In the past I was able to send info that I typed into my phone to a PC serial port using Telnet and some open source apps on the PC. So the serial port type scanner would basically be done with that approach. I think that in order to make a keyboard wedge out of the phone I'd probably have to write a custom app for the PC side to gather the data coming over the network and send it out as keystrokes somehow.

I think I will have some time in a couple of weeks, maybe I can get into it then :)

gamepma likes this.
  8. bdrehmer

bdrehmer Member

just a quick update...i started working on it a bit. i've got the program for the PC side pretty close to done. i'll probably get some code put up sometime this weekend. the PC app uses mono and gtk# and can function as a keyboard wedge or send data over a serial port. it will support windows and any unix that uses x-windows and can run xvkbd. didn't get to the phone side of it yet, so the PC app will be of limited (read: no) use at the moment. i do have a simulator app though...any alpha testers? ;)
    anybody know of a com0com type program for Linux? I don't think that there is one...

gamepma likes this.
  9. alostpacket

I'd be glad to help with the java end but, why serial port?

gamepma likes this.
  10. bdrehmer

bdrehmer Member

hi alostpacket! the idea was that the phone could be used as a plug'n'play replacement for commercial barcode scanners. in most cases, and for the casual home user, it will probably be used as a keyboard wedge. when the scanner is used by another program on the PC it can be more useful / easier to automate processes when the data is sent over a serial port. for example, a lot of the programs that i write at work prompt the operator to scan something like a serial number and then wait for the scanned data to appear on the serial port before continuing on with the program.

the PC app that i am working on uses a .NET TcpListener to get data from the network. so on the phone side, the scanned barcode data would be sent by the equivalent of a .NET TcpClient to the PC...not sure how that works in Android yet. the user would specify the destination IP and port within the app on the phone. you are welcome to help if you like. i don't think i could get to the phone part until about a week from now.

gamepma likes this.
  11. Joshua

Ill be a tester if needed...

Thanks again for the time put into this, I know ill be donating if we can get this to work!

gamepma likes this.
  12. bdrehmer

bdrehmer Member

Downloads - android-pcbcr - Project Hosting on Google Code

See the readme.txt file for info on how to install and test it. This is just the PC side application so far. I've tested it on Xubuntu 9.10 and Windows XP. On Windows 2000 the latest version of Mono wasn't working, but older versions of Mono supposedly work. I'd be interested to hear if people have any trouble getting it up and running, if the instructions in the readme file could be improved at all, and how testing goes on Vista and Windows 7 (no trouble expected). I think it would also run on Mac, but not totally sure.

gamepma likes this.
  13. Joshua

Working on installing it now...

gamepma likes this.
  14. bdrehmer

bdrehmer Member

I've got the whole thing working now...you can find the latest .apk file for the phone and the latest .exe for the PC from the svn repository here:

android-pcbcr - Project Hosting on Google Code

(apk file is in android-pcbcr - Project Hosting on Google Code)
    (exe is in android-pcbcr - Project Hosting on Google Code)

I didn't release it to Android Market yet because it still needs some polishing before that. I am also going to make a setup program for Windows that will put a shortcut in the start menu so that you don't have to type out all the cd and mono stuff before it is officially released.

gamepma likes this.
  15. bdrehmer

bdrehmer Member

just an update on my progress...
    I'm pretty close to releasing it to Android Market. I've been working on an installer for Windows that isn't quite to where I want it to be yet. The application itself is ok, but if people can't figure out how to use it I will be in trouble :)
    Should be done by the end of the week, and maybe as soon as later today...

gamepma likes this.
  16. bdrehmer

bdrehmer Member

it is up in the Android Market now

application name is: PC_BCR
    it is under Applications...Tools

gamepma and alostpacket like this.
  17. jkmailley

jkmailley Well-Known Member

I can't wait to try this when I get home. I use a software called Movie Database and it gives you an option to scan barcodes to auto enter them into your collection.

18. BaLListic_Evo

BaLListic_Evo New Member

Any chance this can be made to work via bluetooth as the wifi will not work as it is being used in a work environment and cannot connect to our secured network here.

19. WillR

WillR New Member

How about having the program just save the scanned data to a .csv file so I can down load it later?

No need to have any communications with any network or divice, just record the barcodes.

It would be nice to be able to set up X-number of columns to scan and have it read different types of barcodes.

When I'm done canning my inventory, I can then email the .csv file to myself and work with the data then.

The current program won't work for me.

20. texrmm91

texrmm91 New Member

This program rocks. I was starting to make it and then I stumbled upon yours. Does exactly what I need it to do and how I need it done. Thanks a bunch for getting this done.

21. MikalCarbine

MikalCarbine New Member

I agree that being able to save the data to a .CSV instead of connecting to a wifi network would be invaluable. Here at my job I can't connect my phone to the network for the same reason as ballistic_evo

22. Man Eating Duck

Man Eating Duck New Member

Thanks for this brilliantly simple application.
    I looked for something like this to catalog my album collection, this works beautifully with my script for Amazon lookup :)

USB connectivity or some kind of security for use over public internet/3g would be a nice addition for when you lack a wifi connection, but the application does what I need. Nice work!

23. nejck

nejck New Member

Thanks man, exacly what I have been looking for!!!

Works like a charm ;)

24. Arnebirger

Arnebirger New Member

This program looks really cool. I have downloaded the app, and the program for my pc. I can scan barcodes on my dvds with the phone, (Im about to register my collection), and I can see the numbers appear inside the PC_BCR program, but I can

25. GeorgeFord

GeorgeFord New Member

Can't find this application?
    Has it been removed form the market?
    Can anybody help me out...
    I would be interested in using this app via tethered USB, or wireless....
    I write code in LabWindowsCVI, so even a 'keyboard wedge' would work with my apps that require user entry...
    I am also finding that the barcodes captured by many of the "scanner apps" on the Android market, do not correctly scan the data that I am trying to scan (non-UPC) - usually simple ASCII encoded serial numbers.
    Any help would be appreciated !
    Thanks !
    George Ford