1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Barcode scanning a joke

Last Updated:

1. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

DL 2 different scanners, barcode scanner and shopsavvy. Neither one works worth a darned. Have tried different items usually common ones i.e. a case of Mtn. Dew. It chokes and says it can't find a retailer. Seriously?! If it can't find even a simple case of pop which hundreds of retailers have, that's pathetic!! Has anyone found a real BC app that has actual products and works??

Advertisement
  2. Kirch21

Kirch21 Well-Known Member

shop savvy works amazing for me lol

you might try google goggles but maybe try scanning some other stuff cus shop savvy is legit

3. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I use barcode scanner all the time and it works great. Never had it not work yet....

4. Mr. Yuck

Mr. Yuck Active Member

+1 on Barcode Scanner. Used it a lot while Christmas shopping. Worked well and worked every time.

5. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

Most online retailers do not carry mountain dew..therefore it wont find it. Try it on a dvd or something that an online retailer might have.

6. luv2design

luv2design Member

I've only used Barcode Scanner online so far, but works great. Shopsavvy has been excellent when out shopping...no probs at all!

7. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

Is there any app that will let me scan a barcode and target local stores in my area? That would be an awesome comparison shopping tool.

8. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

Shop Savvy is awesome, use it just about every day. (People at walmart hate it :)

9. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

So far, the joke's on Sportster. ;) I happen to use Barcode Scanner quite a bit too. Gotta love for those QR Codes! :)

10. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

I use shopsavvy and it works 95% of the time. I'm pretty sure a can of pop from a 12 pack or a case wont show up. Try and scanning the box the pop came in.

11. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

+1 on Barcode Scanner, love the app and it works perfectly for me!

12. mikedageek

mikedageek New Member

try scanning electronics ... I never had much luck with regular groceries ... but when ever I scanned devices or music (even alcohol) I got results ... Shopsavvy does a local lookup based on your gps ...

13. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Did scan the pop case and on both got zero, nada, zip not ONE store. Used it at Target past week, scanned a large pack of Charmin TP, a common brand.....it came up with one measly response from one store. I'm only 50m east of Chitown so I'm not in the boondocks by any stretch. If this is what you call 'working great', then I'd be afraid to ask what it's like when its NOT lol. ....

14. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

+1 for barcode scanner

15. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

Did you not read the above posts? The app works with online stores and people have had good success with electronics, music, dvds, etc. You said you were at a Target store and scanned some Charmin TP, well why don't you try going to Target's website and search "Charmin." You only get two or three results and no Charmin TP. So if you can't search it through they're own website how to you expect a 3rd party app to achieve a better result. Maybe you should do a little research and ACTUALLY READ people's posts before posting sarcastic rants that have no merit!

16. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

I've used every barcode scanner in the market - all work excellently. I use shopsavvy exclusively (for features). Since its imperritive the focus works correctly on your phone for this to work... maybe yours is a piece of junk.

17. bmar29

bmar29 Well-Known Member

it must not be able to find the pop because it looks so much like soda :)

18. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

This could be true! :D

19. Van

Van Member

Shop Savvy works great for me...maybe uninstall and reinstall and try again

20. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

I use Barcode Scanner, Shop Savvy, and Google Goggles and all work great. I believe when scanning soda, it's such a commodity item, nobody is really out there price comparing.

It worked best when I found a Dyson vacuum on clearance at an excellent price but wanted to make sure, barcode scanner found i without problem and listed the best prices available. It made my decision pretty easy and my wife happy!

21. luv2design

luv2design Member

Shopsavvy does that ;).

22. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Curiously, what's the difference between Barcode Scanner and Shopsavvy? Or, are they basically the same thing?

23. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I think Savvy uses Scanner like an addon to get local results instead of a generic google search.

The apps work fine for me too. It found a cart I was looking at in the Home Depot and showed me that Amazon.ca had it from 7 other sellers and I was already at the cheapest retailer. handy indeed.

But these aren't going to replace dedicated scanners, we're using the camera and that isn't how a real scanner works. And the shopping software, well that will get better. I'm more interested in the results I already get, specs, reviews, etc.

24. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

i was using shopsavvy the other day at work scanning bottles of dr.pepper, mt dew, ice tea and none of them came up with the right item lol. it was pretty funny what it was picking up.

besides that, those items are the only things that ever gave me problems

25. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

-When 12 guys at the pub say yer drunk...

I really don't get the impatient "this is a POS" attitude of some folks.
    I mean, if you're so certain the barcode scanner is useless, why don't you test it against all your other barcode sca-
    -Oh yeah. You don't HAVE any other barcode scanners, do you? :p