• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Barcode scanning app unable to focus on barcode

rkaplins

Apr 27, 2010
Just got my droid incredible tonight and when trying to use the barcode scanner app it keeps trying to focus and just as it is about to lock in on the bar code, it goes out of focus and back in focus again... and repeats over and over.

I tried cleaning the glass but it is pretty darn clean.

Anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts?

On my dinc I too can not scan barcodes. The camera continually tries to auto-focus on a item. I have tried google goggles and bar code scanner. This is frustrating! I turn off auto-focus in the camera settings however this did nothing, it still tried to focus on the bar code. And yes, I have tried multiple barcodes. I know how quickly it should work based on the version I used to use on my old Iphone. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
ShopSavvy works very well. Something that doesn't work for me is the keyring app that stores all your little keyring barcodes. I've tried this at grocery stores and gas station pumps and it never reads off my screen. IDK if it has anything to do with having a protective film on the screen or not, but I ended up uninstalling it after spending an hour scanning in all the cards I could find around the house.

Upvote 0
On my dinc I too can not scan barcodes. The camera continually tries to auto-focus on a item. I have tried google goggles and bar code scanner. This is frustrating! I turn off auto-focus in the camera settings however this did nothing, it still tried to focus on the bar code. And yes, I have tried multiple barcodes. I know how quickly it should work based on the version I used to use on my old Iphone. Any help would be appreciated.

Just to be clear, they are completely different programs so if it takes 3 seconds on a iPhone doesn't mean it will take 3 seconds on the incredible (I'm sure you've been trying for long enough, but I just want to point that out).
How was the lighting when you tried? the code should be well light, but without glare. Also try holding it a different distances. Rremember that the camera has 8mp of resolution, so feel free to pull the camera back a bit (which should help it focus).

Actually, I just had a thought. You could look up barcodes on your computer and practice scanning them off the moniter. Get a feel for how far away you need to be, how long, etc.

Upvote 0
I am also seeing this exact issue on my dinc running 2.2 stock. My work phone htc eris running 2.1 does the same thing. My wifes droid x works perfectly. I am guessing this is a bug (or just incomatibility) with htc sense or whatever htc uses to control camera. Maybe just a crappy camera in the first place???

Anyway, it just constantly tries to refocus. shopsavvy hardly works at all (maybe 1 out of 10 tries on the same barcode), "barcode scanner" is slightly better, and google goggles works the best with an average of probably 6 times out of 10 successful; (however goggles is also reading the upc number and not just the barcode). all of these programs demonstrate difficulty in focusing on the barcode. It will find the sweet spot then leave it just as fast and repeat.... really annoying given the money and contract extension i've invested in this phone.

anyone have an update on a fix for this issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones