• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Barnacle tether app

Viconi

Nov 12, 2009
After not being able to get "android wifi tether" to work with my iPad, I downloaded Barnacle from the market and it is working flawlessly. Didn't see many threads mentioning this app for root users. It looks pretty robust and pulling about 2gbs and 400kb up. Will update post with any problems or other remarks. Anyone else using this?

After not being able to get "android wifi tether" to work with my iPad, I downloaded Barnacle from the market and it is working flawlessly. Didn't see many threads mentioning this app for root users. It looks pretty robust and pulling about 2gbs and 400kb up. Will update post with any problems or other remarks. Anyone else using this?

I hate the iPad. But it makes me happy to hear it's only useful tethered to an Android.

Upvote 0
i just downloaded the barnacle teather and rooted my droid x i was wondering if any one els is running into the same shenanigans as me, I followed the instructions to name the network, set a WEP password, clear all info in WAN and LAN then hit start, i can find the network on my laptop but it comes up as and unsecured network without internet access and i can not however find my laptop as a client on barnacle even tho my computer says its connected, the app says "there are no active clients" does anyone have any ideas on what i need to do?
<3

Upvote 0
I am trying to tether my Nook Tablet to my droid running CM7.1. I've tried Barnacle and WiFi Tether apps and both have the same issue...The app says that tethering is running but I cannot find the network on the NT to connect. I have tried connecting other devices as well, but as far as I can tell, the droid is not broadcasting a network to connect to. Any ideas to get the tethering working?

Upvote 0
I use Barnacle to tether my Nook Color. For Nook users, realize that the OD will only support Ad-Hoc networks. The Nook color (IKD about the tablet) will not support Ad-Hoc networks without rooting and a bit of code. Or you could do what I did, and load CM7 on the nook, then everything works.

The only issue I have with Barnacle, is sometimes the wi-fi manager does not exit properly when barnacle starts and the network never stabilizes. (Nook will see the network, but the net fails before nook can get an IP) (I think the cause is barnacle not shutting down properly b/c it happens most often when I shut down Barnacle and then restart it) My work around for that is to exit Barnacle, go to the wi-fi manager, and manual cycle it on/off/on, then re-try Barnacle. sometimes this fixes it, some times I need to re-boot the phone.

Reactions: Flapjacks1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones