Barnacle tether app

Last Updated:

1. Viconi

Viconi Member This Topic's Starter

After not being able to get "android wifi tether" to work with my iPad, I downloaded Barnacle from the market and it is working flawlessly. Didn't see many threads mentioning this app for root users. It looks pretty robust and pulling about 2gbs and 400kb up. Will update post with any problems or other remarks. Anyone else using this?

Advertisement
  2. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

I hate the iPad. But it makes me happy to hear it's only useful tethered to an Android.

3. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

2Gps? You must have one heck of a local tower..or not many VZW subscribers in your area to see that speed...

4. endorphine44

endorphine44 Active Member

I have it on my phone, works good for a backup/emergency connection. At home I get about 500Kbps down & 300Kbps up. Not great, but if you really need it, it's better than nothing. It would probably help if I had better towers in my area too.

5. mcadam

mcadam Well-Known Member

I got barnacle working on my iPod touch but not the iPad. It sees the barnacle wireless network and connects to it, but safari still doesn't work and the iPad doesn't show up as a client in barnacle. Did you have to change any settings in barnacle or on the iPad?

6. DaretoDroid2

DaretoDroid2 Active Member

Hello,
    Last night I rooted my phone and am running 2.2. I installed barnacle tether hoping to tether my ipod touch and I cannot get it to find my network. I followed the instructions to name the network, set a WEP password, clear all info in WAN and LAN then hit start. Anything else I need to do?

7. goldz28

goldz28 Well-Known Member

I got it to work with rooted 2.1 but when I did 2.2 it would not see my network either. I'm guessing its not compatible with 2.2 yet.

8. hadouken

hadouken New Member

i just downloaded the barnacle teather and rooted my droid x i was wondering if any one els is running into the same shenanigans as me, I followed the instructions to name the network, set a WEP password, clear all info in WAN and LAN then hit start, i can find the network on my laptop but it comes up as and unsecured network without internet access and i can not however find my laptop as a client on barnacle even tho my computer says its connected, the app says "there are no active clients" does anyone have any ideas on what i need to do?
    <3

9. Flapjacks1

Flapjacks1 Member

I am trying to tether my Nook Tablet to my droid running CM7.1. I've tried Barnacle and WiFi Tether apps and both have the same issue...The app says that tethering is running but I cannot find the network on the NT to connect. I have tried connecting other devices as well, but as far as I can tell, the droid is not broadcasting a network to connect to. Any ideas to get the tethering working?

10. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Well-Known Member

I use Barnacle to tether my Nook Color. For Nook users, realize that the OD will only support Ad-Hoc networks. The Nook color (IKD about the tablet) will not support Ad-Hoc networks without rooting and a bit of code. Or you could do what I did, and load CM7 on the nook, then everything works.

The only issue I have with Barnacle, is sometimes the wi-fi manager does not exit properly when barnacle starts and the network never stabilizes. (Nook will see the network, but the net fails before nook can get an IP) (I think the cause is barnacle not shutting down properly b/c it happens most often when I shut down Barnacle and then restart it) My work around for that is to exit Barnacle, go to the wi-fi manager, and manual cycle it on/off/on, then re-try Barnacle. sometimes this fixes it, some times I need to re-boot the phone.

Flapjacks1 likes this.
  11. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

I have been using Barnacle quite a bit lately. It's a great alternative to not having internet access, that's for sure! Yeah, it's a little wonky at times, but overall it's a win