Barnacle wifi tether: Trouble installingSupport

Last Updated:

1. Komodo Rogue

Komodo Rogue Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Heya, so I really want a free wifi tether, from what I have read barnacle is very good, and keeps AT&T from seeing that I'm tethering. Here is my journey thus far:

1. search barnacle on app market: no results

2. download double twist, search for barnacle, find it, scan the barcode. It recognizes it as barnacle. Sweet. I press the button to continue to app market, market opens, says "can't download that" or "error" or something.

3. Find the barnacle apk. online, download it to my computer, connect my captivate to my computer, throw the apk. file onto the captivate. Sweet! Now I have the apk. file on my phone at long last.

3a. download app installer from the market, run the app, it find the barnacle_apk file, I try to run it, and an error message pops up: "you are not allowed to run apps outside of the market" or "we don't love you enough" or something. I download and try different app installer programs from the app market but get the same result each time.

4. sadness

Any suggestions? :eek: My phone is running 2.1, it's rooted, running "one click lag fix," "autokiller" (not using it for anything crazy just killing all the at&t garbage that loads on startup), and "autostarts."

Thanks for any help, this would be a huuuge help for me at work, and I can't afford to pay the at&t tether thing because I'm a preschool teacher and we get paid in peanuts :(

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

put your phone in flight mode and look in the market, i just checked and it was there. and you will have to be on wifi also

3. Superbrowndude

Superbrowndude Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a wifi connection of adhoc ?

4. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Well-Known Member

I would recommend this WiFi tether software. You have to be rooted and it has to be sideloaded, but the latest apk works great for me.

5. Scholar

Scholar Member