• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Barnacle won't run...

dlginla

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
I rooted my intercept, double check with terminal emulator, for sure rooted.

Open Barnacle app.
push Start

Error comes up.

Log says:
Starting
Data network is ready
.ini file prepared
./run not found
Stopped unexpectedly!

That is it, last two lines are in red.

Only thing I can think of is I downloaded Barnacle before I rooted, and I don't know how to reinstall without paying again.

Found this on other forum, will try it tomorrow. It does say the same problems I describe above. :)

I have gotten wifi tethering to work just this morning. I am using the application barnacle wifi tethering. One it own it does not work but in conjunction with some file moving, works just fine. I am posting from my tether now. First install the application. Now when it starts it runs /data/data/net.szym.barnacle/files/setup sh and that drops it to /data/local (because of how the su is set up)

Here is how I fixed it:

Connect device and get to your terminal
Use these commands
adb shell
su
cd /data/data/net.szym.barnacle/files
cat run > /data/local/run
cat dhcp > /data/local/dhcp
cat nat > /data/local/nat
cat wifi > /data/local/wifi
cat samsung > /data/local/samsung
cat brncl.ini > /data/local/brncl.ini
cd /data/local/
chmod 750 run dhcp nat wifi samsung
exit
exit

Now open the application barnacle and go into settings.
There you will need to find and check "Skip wpa_supplicant" in order for it to work.
My computer picked up the signal and bam, internet access with a successful tether.

As Pointed Out By apothecaryaaron: If you have trouble with Barnacle starting -- various errors such as 'eth0' being invalid -- I found that starting Wifi then letting Barnacle disable it seemed to fix the errors.

Thanks to epicnoobie on:
Barnacle Wifi Tether working on One Click Root Bat Filed Epic Hopefully Helps
for giving me the idea. Just figured since our structure is so close to the Epic's that this would work for me too. For me the folders lib and share_prefs did not need to be moved and I just started it like normal thru the gui.

EDIT: Thanks to papiyas for pointing out the "cd /data/local" mistake. Thanks to oatmeal for pointing out my "skip wpa" mistake. Thanks to apothecaryaaron for adding the note about letting barnacle disable wifi, I can confirm this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones