Barnes & Noble Unveils Nook Color with 7-Inch LCD Display

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Well, they did it. Barnes & Noble, as rumored, just outed the Nook Color. A 7-inch full LCD touchscreen touting, Android-based e-reader and then some. Streaming music, web browsing, games, and social networking on top of the whole book thing in a package weighing in at less than a pound and half an inch thick. [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Pre-ordered! My wife loves her Nook and this looks better/more powerful...although, battery life will suffer.

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Full color looks nice, but I'm not sure consumers will toss $250 at something that's not quite a tablet, not quite an e-reader. I just got a Kindle and absolutely love it to death. Touch screens tend to pick up smudges and reading on a smudge screen would tick me off personally. I'm interested in seeing how Amazon responds to this.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

So it has a normal LCD screen rather than an eInk screen? Isn't that the main benefit to using an eReader over any other device?

I mean, based on what I've just read it seems the nook has brought in a load of features that my phone/laptop already have (bumping up the price), at the cost of the main selling point for eReaders.

5. mazer75

mazer75 Member

Yeah I don't get it. I was waiting to see what the Nook Color would be based on, hoping it was color e-ink, so this is disappointing. I will probably get a Kindle now.

6. A.Nonymous

After looking it over more, it looks like the only thing the Nook has on my phone is the larger screen. That's it. The screen is still going to get washed out in sunlight so I can't read it on my front porch like I can my Kindle. You know Amazon is going to come out with an actual color e-Ink reader some time next year when the color e-ink screens become available. This is basically an Android tablet, but not a tablet, but not really a true e-reader either.

7. Klauven

Klauven Well-Known Member

I really hope someone roots this thing and builds a custom ROM that turns it into a pretty decent Tab for only $249.

8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

BTW, a general advantage of Nook over Kindle is that it supports ePUB format that many public libraries use...free books!

9. Xyro

But you can get ePub books on the kindle too, you just have to convert them :)

10. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Illegally bypassing the DRM?

11. Xyro

That depends which files you're trying to convert. To be honest, I haven't ever actually come across an ePub book; I think that's a bit advanced for my library ;) I hadn't really considered loaned eBooks and their associated DRM.

12. A.Nonymous

My library doesn't do the e-loaning thing either. I've not crossed paths with any epub books either. I'm curious what the battery life is on this thing. I fully charged my Kindle on Saturday. It's at 85% or so and I used it virtually all day Saturday and used it for a couple of hours a piece Sunday and Monday. The thing never needs to be charged.

13. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Its supposed to be able to go 8 hours with wifi turned off. Not too bad for a color LCD, but definitely not as good as an e-ink display.

14. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

it has a laminated screen to help ease glare in sun.

ive been mulling on nookcolor all day. I think it will do well, I've concluded. the $250 price point is half of the GalaxyTab. The user interface is said to be polished (but a lil laggy at this point, but you should have seen how much the original nooks speed has been tweaked since its launch). It is the first device to have available to it over 100 magazines (eat your heart out ipad). It will do video, it will have pandora, it will have apps and a B&N Android app marketplace where developers can sell their apps to end users.

It will of course get rooted and can't wait to get Cyanogen on there. Ultimately I wanted to get this device but things like lack of bluetooth and GPS take away what I want out of a tablet. But the device is good, priced right, and is going to smack the ipad in terms of backlit reading tablets. See this thread here for more of my thoughts on the developer/app aspect: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...unning-android2-1-developer-sign-up-free.html

We shall see. I was hoping and praying for Mirasol color eink but unfortunately it looks like ill have to wait for next year for thought. It it had mirasol I would have already pre-ordered, but seems like i'll be sticking with my nook 3g+wifi in the time being.

15. A.Nonymous

The thing is it doesn't really fit anywhere. I have a Kindle. I've never sat there and said to myself, "Self, I'd love to have apps on this thing." I want my e-reader to be lightweight, very portable and have a battery life that lasts forever. This one is 6 oz heavier than the Kindle and it's got an LED that's going to cause eyestrain. I'm guessing it won't be as good as the Kindle in the light.

It's basically a tablet, not an e-reader, but it's not really a tablet either. Like you said, it doesn't have BT or GPS so it's not like you're going to go out and buy it if you're in the market for a tablet. It's not going to replace a tablet. On the other hand, it's not really an e-reader either. It's got the LED screen instead of the better looking e-ink screen and it's got a laggy interface and there are many cell phones out there that get longer battery life. Not to mention the other e-readers out there all kick it's ass when it comes to battery. Eight hours with wi-fi off compared to the Kindles 2-3 weeks with wi-fi off and even the regular Nook's battery life is way better. Turn wifi on and my DInc could end up lasting longer. I still think the touch screen will end up picking up smudges that will drive people nuts when they're trying to read books too.

You know that when color e-ink screens come out next year, that Amazon will release a new Kindle that features one. We could see a new Kindle in June or July with an e-Ink screen and it does all of the things this Nook does. That device, if priced right, could be a perfect. The Nook looks like a nice device, but it's not enough to convince me to abandon my Kindle. The Kindle is still the thing that I can charge overnight on the weekend and it's still going a week and a half later.

16. Hockey4jack

Hockey4jack Active Member

How are the technical specs on this thing?