• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bartering

zoxxo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Issaquah, WA
So I don't usually watch the trash shows like Inside Edition, but sadly my Mother does. While I was visiting her I happened to catch an episode where they interviewed a lady who was supposedly the "queen of bartering." I admit that some of her tips were interesting, and filed the episode away without a second thought.

Yesterday one of the towns next door to mine had a grand opening for a Best Buy, and I found myself wandering through the store too late in the day to get any of the grand opening cool stuff. I found a razor that I wanted, but it seemed to expensive. I whipped out my trusty droid, used shop savvy to scan the barcode, and found it on-line for $50 less.

One of the techniques in the bartering show was to research ahead of time, find the best on-line price, bring the ad into the store, and then attempt to barter for half of the difference of the two prices.

I usually can't talk my way out of a paper-bag, but using the technique from the show, I approached a new salesperson and a manger and attempted a price match. I reasoned that I knew they couldn't match the on-line price, but could they come half-way. The manager checked their profit margin in the system, and then agreed to meet my request. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the tricks from the show actually worked.

Yes, I could have gone home and saved more by ordering on-line, but I wanted the instant gratification and didn't want to wait a week more for the razor.

Does anybody else have any bartering tips they could share that could help us through the season and our current overall economic situation?

So I don't usually watch the trash shows like Inside Edition, but sadly my Mother does. While I was visiting her I happened to catch an episode where they interviewed a lady who was supposedly the "queen of bartering." I admit that some of her tips were interesting, and filed the episode away without a second thought.

Yesterday one of the towns next door to mine had a grand opening for a Best Buy, and I found myself wandering through the store too late in the day to get any of the grand opening cool stuff. I found a razor that I wanted, but it seemed to expensive. I whipped out my trusty droid, used shop savvy to scan the barcode, and found it on-line for $50 less.

One of the techniques in the bartering show was to research ahead of time, find the best on-line price, bring the ad into the store, and then attempt to barter for half of the difference of the two prices.

I usually can't talk my way out of a paper-bag, but using the technique from the show, I approached a new salesperson and a manger and attempted a price match. I reasoned that I knew they couldn't match the on-line price, but could they come half-way. The manager checked their profit margin in the system, and then agreed to meet my request. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the tricks from the show actually worked.

Yes, I could have gone home and saved more by ordering on-line, but I wanted the instant gratification and didn't want to wait a week more for the razor.

Does anybody else have any bartering tips they could share that could help us through the season and our current overall economic situation?
most stores has a policy of not price matching on line ads. but will match other stores paper ads. I say you was lucky and was an isolated event. The manager probably gave you the discount so you would tell family and friends of how nice the workers and managers are. So they would at least goto the store and might buy something.

If this wasn't the grand opening of the store. the manager would of told you then buy it online. because if you want it now and not wait a week or so. then you should be willing to pay a lil more.

I think its cool you made this work but bartering is more for like buying cars and for sale ads in the paper and places like craigslist.

Upvote 0
I bought a bluetoof stereo headset this past summer for $100 bucks at BestBuy. I saw it online for about $50.... I never even THOUGHT about price matching it. :d'oh: I may try that for the Christmas stuff and see how it works.

Did you just show him the online ad using your phone?

I had the phone in hand, but he never asked to look at it. I think the main idea here is that I never tried to get them to match the on-line price, but mainly to get them to go halfway. They were very reasonable about it. I ever got them to price match today against their own website. I think the big thing here is to ask. So many people today just accept the price and never try to go for the deal (I'm one of them). I think I'm going to be a little more vocal from now on... :D

Upvote 0
Bartering is a nice skill. It is really big in other countries, some places I have lived basically expect you to barter. If you dont even try every purchase you make your a pushover.

Here tho it is hard to use tho. Most of the time in retail outlets even if they agree with you and it is a good business decision they simply dont have the authority to make the call.

I guess one tip tho is that kindness with a certain amount of swag and willingness to walk away is the best approach. If you are too nice they know you will just give up, if your too pushy they will just say no spite you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones