Based on your experience; Widgets to Avoid!General

Last Updated:

1. krokem44

krokem44 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone. I am waiting for my Inc to be shipped (hopefully by June 4), and was wondering if you, based on your experiences, can give a heads up to us newbs about which widgets we should avoid getting, whether free or for a cost.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. sum spicy rice

sum spicy rice Member

i heard the endgadget one eats up a lot of battery. i haven't installed it though. just hear a lot about it

krokem44 likes this.
  3. jakeh0

jakeh0 Well-Known Member

engadget drains battery like hell

daves123 and krokem44 like this.
  4. Wiggin21

Wiggin21 Well-Known Member

After disabling my Facebook, engadget and Twitter widgets for the first time my battery has lasted me for more than 24 hours.

I unpluggeded it at about 1pm yesterday, and now at 2:30 I'm just got my 9% notification.

Now granted I wasnt using it non stop, but I was out and about till 3 last night and I was testing/surfing at a moderate rate. Is say this Is pretty impressive with the stock battery.

krokem44 likes this.
  5. Wiggin21

Wiggin21 Well-Known Member

*edit sorry for the double post, I still don't know how to delete a post

6. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

The Slacker Radio widget service keeps my phone awake (partial wake usage per Spare Parts), so I would consider that one to avoid.

7. btorrenga

btorrenga Member

Can you elaborate on how "partial wake usage"? I use that widget too, and want to figure out a better battery strategy.

8. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

Partial wake usage means that the phone's screen is allowed to turn off, but the application is still using CPU and/or data in the background occasionally. I was getting 100% up time letting slacker do whatever it wanted to.

Every time I close slacker, I check the applications > services to make sure there are no slacker services running. If there are, I close them right there.

It's unfortunate that it requires baby sitting, as I prefer it to Pandora.

9. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

Last.fm is better than both, in my opinion, but I see why people like the others. Has to do with music taste for me. Pandora doesn't have half the stuff I listen to.

Edit: Back on topic, as much as I like the keyring app, I found the widget had some issues. It kept locking up and becoming unusable for me. I still use the app, just not the widget.

krokem44 likes this.
  10. Kyleinstyle

Kyleinstyle Active Member

The Slacker Radio widget is a HOG!! Make sure when you close it you actually "exit" the program as it will ask you.

11. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

The new HTC dice and coin widgets both force closed upon use after installing, so be wary of them.

12. totaldis

totaldis Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you just pause and hit the Home button or keep hitting back that doesn't close Slacker. It will keep your phone awake. Be sure to actually hit the Menu button then QUIT once you are done using Slacker.