Basic Help

Last Updated:

1. hurtinunit

hurtinunit Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my HTC Desire for about 2 weeks. I have searched through the forums for info...but between threads getting off track or just not understanding anything, I thought it would be easier to ask basic questions about my particular issues.

1) What is root? I have the 2.2 update, I am happy enough with HTC and my carrier (Telus) and I don't need tonnes of room right now.

2) Speaking of room, I try to put my apps on my SD card with the 2.2 update but only Google Earth and Night Sky are able to do it. All of my icon packs etc. wont go to SD. I'm pretty sure I have lots of room left so I dont think this is a huge issue.

3) Battery issues. I didn't do the first full charge as I had to use the phone asap when I bought it. I don't have much going on with my phone, no active wallpapers, just weather toggle and clock, text and a few phone calls, check a couple websites, maybe a video here and there, and sometime use GPS for maps. I keep my screen on zero percent and I soft touch the power button to go black screen when i'm idle. I turn off gps and wifi when not using them.

With that said, I cant keep the phone idle and off charge overnight without it going to zero. After a charge I lose 10-20% in the first hour. I have never lasted a day on a full charge.

4) After playing around with customizing my phone with icons and widgets I am done. All I need this phone to do is make phones calls, text and check my favorite websites. I use my tracks when I go running and listen to music when I run. Thats all I want it to do. Its a phone so I would love if it could keep a charge in case of an emergency. I was late for dinner the other night because my battery died and I couldn't even call to say I was late! so....

5) What do you recommend I do with my phone to keep it as basic as possible and powered up?

6) What are the key apps to make this the best user experience?

7) When in my pocket I lock screen but once I found that I had 23 unsuccessful attempts to open screen from jiggling around in my pocket lol. Is there anything to help me with that?

Thanks!!!!

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Root is superuser permissions. Like,admin on a pc

Only some apps move to SD card

By default almost everything is set to sync. See my Sig for a good thread about battery

hurtinunit likes this.
  3. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member

One thing that can save some battery is to turn off "Mobile network" so that apps like Mail and Friendfeed only sync when you want them to. To turn it on or off, hold down the power button and select it at the bottom of the menu. Turn it back on when you want to sync. This way you can put your Sync settings onto always Auto-sync and switch on WiFi if you're near a useable AP or Mobile network if you're not.

hurtinunit likes this.
  4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

1) When you root your phone, you give yourself SU (super user) permission which is the same as administrative permission on your computer. This means that you can do much more to your phone, including deleting stock/carrier apps, overclocking (have your phone run faster) and uderclocking (reduces power to save batter) your phone. You can also instal custome ROMs (3rd party ROMs) for a different UI (user interface) or being able to theme. There's much much more you can do with root, those are just some basics things. Rooting voids your warranty

2) The Apps2SD feature in 2.2 is only for apps that the DEVELOPERS allow to be put on the SD card. This thread contains some of the apps you can put to SD card. If you want REAL apps2SD, where you can move ANY app you want, then you would need to root your phone.

3)Will add on to what I've told you in my other post:
    When you dial in *#*#4636#*#* on your phone, it should take you directly to the 'Testing' screen. What happens when you type those charagers? Nothing? Not really sure why you're not getting the Testing screen :(

You might want to install SystemPanel, it's a great task management app that allows you to monitor what app is running or idle and how your battery life is being managed. It basically takes the info from the Testing screen and populates the data to something easier to visualize.

To turn 3G off and only use 2G, go into phone settings -> wirless & networks -> Mobile Network and check off 'Use only 2G networks'. Tell me how your battery life is with only 2G when you're done testing that.

6) Look into this sticky guide, you'll find a lot of helpful threads posted there: http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/162784-htc-desire-guide-updated-20-05-est-oct-5-2010-a.html

Check out the Android Applications - Android Forums forum, it'll have discussion on a wide range of applications from members in other phone forums here.

Useful threads that I used when I got my phone to see what apps to download:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/68845-must-have-apps.html
    http://androidforums.com/android-applications/149327-most-wanted-widgets.html
    http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/52879-looking-certain-type-app-post-them-here.html

Remember, an app that works for someone might not be what you want. Experiment with various apps until you find one you really like :)

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,
    -Roze-

hurtinunit likes this.