• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Basic Problems & Solutions

2. Limit the synchronization to My Contacts group only. I don't need a few hundred contacts from Google Contacts, I'd prefer to see 'My Contacts' only.
The temporary solution is set option that allow to display contacts with phone numbers only

settings > accounts & sync > gmail > k

though now I'm trying to figure out how to delete them from my contacts

Upvote 0
Problem: When I connect the phone to my computer over USB, my files don't show up, what gives?

Solution:
1. Download and install the drivers from the sticky.
2. Change USB mode to mass storage device. (Home screen >> Settings >> Applications >> USB Settings >> Mass Storage Device)
3. Connect phone to computer via USB.
4. Pull down notification bar and click 'Mount' next to the USB connection.

Is the driver installation required once people realize how to mount the drive? Can we confirm this?

Upvote 0
settings > accounts & sync > gmail > k

though now I'm trying to figure out how to delete them from my contacts

Sorry, it doesn't help. It still syncs with all contacts.
Let me explain it in details. When you log into GMail in a browser, there is 'Contact' link in the left column. Click it and you will see the all contacts. There is a least one predefined group here - My Contacts. I'd like to syncs with this group only, not all the contacts. Other Android phones allow you to choose the specific group you want to sync to, but Captivate doesn't

Upvote 0
Interesting, in that I just tested this out on my way home from work. I fired up Google Navigation for turn-by-turn directions to my house. While driving and looking at my phone (not safe, I know) I began wondering if I should buy a windshield mount. The problem I noticed is that the charger port is at the top of the phone, and would stretch the car charger if i needed to have it plugged in. I rotated the phone so that the top of the phone was facing the center console and the bottom was facing the drivers side. Navigation correctly adjusted. Just tested now on my home screen as well, and the home screen works in landscape in both orientations.

tl;dr - Landscape works properly in both orientations. Unsure of portrait.
My homescreens don't flip at all

Upvote 0
Not sure if I should post this here or not but my usb connector is very flimsy. When charging or connected to my computer, it will disconnect with a light tap. I was curious if anyone else is having this issue or its just my phone?

make sure that you've opened the 'door' for the charging port completely. it slides open a good bit with ease, then you have to give a bit more 'umph' and push it a lil bit til its all the way opened.

Upvote 0
How to I reboot/softreset my phone other than taking the battery out?

I don't know about "rebooting", but you can shut the phone down by holding the power button for 2-3 seconds. A list of options will come up and "power off" is one of them. Shuts down in about 2-3 seconds with a graphic animation, then goes black. You cant start it right back up though. Takes another 5-10 seconds or so of black before it becomes responsive to the power button again (at least in my experience).

Upvote 0
Okay so I decided to do a factory reboot because I had changed so many things the phone was starting to sludge along. I started right off with Launcher pro, and when I tried to connect to my laptop via usb I get the following message:

PC connection only available in idle screen. Close running applications

I know this sounds like a stupid question but what does that mean? The only open applications I have right now are widgets and your standard run of the mill programs being accessed by the OS. Is this a launcher pro issue?

I'm trying to see if we can rule out the driver installation for connecting the phone. Sunday I was able to connect without a driver once I understood that you have to mount the drive. But I'm not even being given the option right now.

Upvote 0
Okay so I decided to do a factory reboot because I had changed so many things the phone was starting to sludge along. I started right off with Launcher pro, and when I tried to connect to my laptop via usb I get the following message:

PC connection only available in idle screen. Close running applications

I know this sounds like a stupid question but what does that mean? The only open applications I have right now are widgets and your standard run of the mill programs being accessed by the OS. Is this a launcher pro issue?

I'm trying to see if we can rule out the driver installation for connecting the phone. Sunday I was able to connect without a driver once I understood that you have to mount the drive. But I'm not even being given the option right now.

Did you follow the directions I posted? Most notably #2 where you set the USB mode? I had the issue you posted until setting the USB mode.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip about opening the USB door all the way, it did the trick.

Now I have a new problem. Not sure what I did today but all my apps from the Market disappear after I power down the phone. I started installing Google Voice, it kept crashing. I finally manged to get it working but after powering down, it was gone. To test it, I downloaded Google Voice (again), Google Translate and some Dilbert comic strip. All three were gone after powering down. Any ideas?

Oh and on a side note, my wireless would not connect all day at work today after not being an issue on Monday. When I got home, wireless works fine at home.

My first bad day with my new toy! :mad:

Upvote 0
New to Android but I had my first strange issue tonight. While my phone was on the table tonight I suddenly heard music. I knew I didn't have a music ringtone. Turns out my SiriusXM app turned itself on (yes I rooted it this morning).

When I checked and closed the app suddenly my home screen started rotating and the backlit home button at the bottom was blinking. I brushed a finger over it and it stopped.

Not sure what that was about.

Upvote 0
New to Android but I had my first strange issue tonight. While my phone was on the table tonight I suddenly heard music. I knew I didn't have a music ringtone. Turns out my SiriusXM app turned itself on (yes I rooted it this morning).

When I checked and closed the app suddenly my home screen started rotating and the backlit home button at the bottom was blinking. I brushed a finger over it and it stopped.

Not sure what that was about.

I think you may be in some need of holy water.

Upvote 0
Sorry, it doesn't help. It still syncs with all contacts.
Let me explain it in details. When you log into GMail in a browser, there is 'Contact' link in the left column. Click it and you will see the all contacts. There is a least one predefined group here - My Contacts. I'd like to syncs with this group only, not all the contacts. Other Android phones allow you to choose the specific group you want to sync to, but Captivate doesn't

I'm having the exact same issue with Google Sync. It wants to Sync ALL of the contacts and not just what's in "My Contacts". This feature was working flawlessly on my Windows Mobile 6.5 device with Active sync and now that I've got a new Captivate it seems broken! go figure?

Here's a link to the topic on the Google Mobile Help Forum...

Just want to sync 'My Contacts' on Android, not everything! - Google Mobile Help

Upvote 0
Ok, here is what is happening:
In my fiances phone, she has me as a contact. My number is put in there as #-###-###-####
When she goes to send me a text message and selects me from the list, it puts my number in as ###-#### (removes the area code) which of course sends back an invalid number.

Now, if she sends it by typing my number (###-###-####) it goes through, but as soon as she leaves the messaging program, I reply, and she tries to reply back to me, it defaults the number back to ###-#### (removing the area code again).

ANYONE???

Has this been solved yet? I have a similar but not identical problem. All texts from my wife come in from area code 793, should be 703. I may have put a typo in when I first installed her contact, but quickly fixed it, but somehow it's stuck that way (ALL texts from her come from 793).

They want me to do a hard reset, but I fear losing all my apps if I do that.

Upvote 0
My problem, wrong area code/typo is solved.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ALL CONTACTS BE ENTERED CORRECTLY BEFORE MAKING A CALL OR TEXTING TO THAT CONTACT.

It seems that once you call or text that number it is somehow permanent, no matter that you delete and reenter the contact, no matter that you delete all known records of the number on the phone. IT. IS. STILL. THERE.

I had to do a full reset. I then entered the problematic contact, it was double checked to be certain of accuracy, then I texted, it was received, responded to and I responded to the response - all worked as planned.

This may mean that all contacts -for those of you who imported, must be corrected - to add area codes or correct them or who knows what, before you actually engage those numbers/emails etc.

Hope this helps. It's a pain in the butt for sure, but I begged the guy to explain it up the chain so this bug is able to be fixed in the update.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones