Basic question about NFC tags

1. okc_smoker

okc_smoker Member

I was thinking about picking up some NFC tags, but I have a pretty specific use in mind. I'd like to open certain apps and toggle some settings when I dock my phone in my car and then have everything go back the way it was when I undock it. Is this possible with one tag or would I need a tag to put it in "driving mode" and another to put everything back to normal? Basically, can I have certain events triggered by getting close to the tag and other events triggered when it moves away from the tag?

Advertisement
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

While I don't think you can do this, what you can do is program the tag with an on-off feature. So the first time you scan it, it activates one set of actions (initiate driving mode), and the second time you scan it, it does another set. (i.e. undo your driving mode settings.)
  3. XLS125

XLS125 Active Member

^ I programmed a tag to do this, and it works reasonably well.
  4. andrejhoward

andrejhoward Active Member

I use the NFC tags to switch profiles. So when I get in the car, car mode. Swipe again, back to normal on the way out.

Works really well.

By the way I have the tag on the dash next to the dock. Really easy to slide over and dock, undock and slide back across.
  5. okc_smoker

okc_smoker Member

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to enable Driving Mode through profiles in CM10.
  6. andrejhoward

andrejhoward Active Member

Can you use tasker to help with that?
    inkwestsieersi likes this.