basic question about software keyboard

Last Updated:

1. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use the hardware keyboard exclusively, but am wanting to use the software keyboard more, figuring that my next phone may only have that.

My real problem is figuring out how to move the cursor around in the text. If I want to go back and edit using the hardware keyboard, I just use the d-pad to move back to the spot I need. How do I do that with the software keyboard? Am I forced to tap the screen (which never chooses where I want it, and I have to key pecking at it to get it in the right place)?

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I always just tap the screen, which I admit is a PITA and only 50% accurate... but I do not think there is any other way. not that I know of actually. I would love to be wrong on this, but if the answer is a series of double pressed keys, for those with multi-touch key boards, I will just stick to the tapping method for placement.

3. Vance

Ugh, well that alone might be reason for sticking with a hardware keyboard. If they can de-Bing the Merge, possibly.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Try another keyboard app. Swype, for example has cursor keys. I can't speak for the rest.

5. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Smart Keyboard Pro has a d-pad function that you access from the on screen keyboard. I've tried several keyboard replacements and this one, in my opinion, is far superior to most. I don't like the swipe type keyboards personally, but others do and that is definitely a personal preference. Anyway, if you are looking for a d-pad function in an on-screen keyboard, try Smart Keyboard Pro.

BigRedGonzo

Dubbin1 and Lock-N-Load like this.
  6. csoga

csoga Active Member

+1 for Smart Keyboard Pro

Been using it for quite a long time now, like it... much better than stock, and any other I've tried. The Calibration feature helped me a lot.... (fat fingers) :)

7. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

Where are these cursor keys in swype? I'm looking all over and don't see them.

8. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

I use swype. It is a little better than the the standard kybd app.

9. Dubbin1

Wow smart keyboard pro is awesome!!! I thought swype was good until I tried this. I really like the gesture options.

10. Vance

I am having trouble finding the dpad option on the Smart Keyboard, can someone point me to it?

But, one killer feature of this keyboard that makes it worth the change is how it handles voice input. I have been using Vlingo since it just does better at recognizing names and strings of commands, but Smart Keyboard does it one better. It uses the Google voice recognition, but when it is even the slightest bit confused, it puts up some choices for what it THINKS I am saying, one of which is always right!

11. Lock-N-Load

just set Gestures > Swipe XYZ > Toggle arrow keypad and viola.. when I swipe XYZ the arrow keypad opens

12. brihan

brihan Member

Hi,

I purchased Smart Keyboard Pro but I am having some trouble.

All I want to do is be able to move the courser forward or backwords. I try swiping left or right and it just enters the last letter touched.

How do you program the swipe to move the courser?

Thanks!

Brian

13. Vance

I just found the swipe settings and using swipe as a cursor does not seem to be an option. I did set a left-swipe for voice input so I didn't have to peck that small button.

Edit: yes, there IS a cursor option in the gestures settings for swiping! I missed it! So now swiping left and right is cursor, up is voice and down is close the keyboard!

And I found where the cursor arrow option is. You can set it as an option to replace the numberpad, which is two layers down.

14. Dubbin1

I was having problem finding it but then I set the "Swipe left gesture" to Toggle arrow keypad. Now all I have to do is swipe left across the keyboard, that opens the keypad that has the arrow keys.

15. Lock-N-Load

I set up my gestures as:

swipe left: cursor left
    swipe right: cursor right
    swipe up: arrows & numbers
    swipe down: ALT keys displayed

I also turned on "show touch points" as it is interesting to see over time where I actually hit the keys.

As well, I did the calibration