Basic questions after root

1. messenger88

messenger88 New Member

I am a noob, which seems to be a bit of an unwelcomed thing in many threads,and I have some basic questions. I've read through the forums but many of them get off topic after a few posts.

After much reading, I rooted my phone and everything went great. I did it the long way and it was a pretty easy process. Now I am reading up on roms before I go messing with that. I've seen many posts on people's opinions of roms to use, but many are from a while ago and since things change so fast I am looking for suggestions. The most important thing to me is speed and battery life, but it would also be nice to find something attractive.

Also on roms, I see some that are sense, and some that are not. What is the difference? I haven't seen anything on this. Can you run multiple roms that you switch between when hitting the home button?

When I install a new rom, can I delete all the htc sense stuff?

After rooting, is it safe to remove the programs I used to root. I assume superuser and terminal emulator need to stay, but what about visionary, Astro, File expert? Will I need any of these again?

I have downloaded Gemini app manager to disable apps from starting up, but visionary is one I wasn't sure about. If I do still need it in the future, can I freeze it so it isn't constantly running?

I've seen a lot of list about bloatware you can remove, but what about all the htc stuff. Is there any need to get rid of any of that? Is it safe?

Sorry for the long list, but I just want to learn as much as I can before proceeding. I don't need any new paperweights.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Kimbernator

Kimbernator Well-Known Member

When you install a new ROM, sense is just gone. unless you install another sense ROM.

When you root, you can remove bloatware, but not HTC sense. the programs on the stock ROM are dependent on sense and therefore would cripple the phone if it were removed.

And when you mentioned "switching between ROMS with the home button," it doesnt work that way.

I'll try and make this easy to understand...

If you install a new ROM, you first need to completely erase all of the operating system off of your phone. once it's installing, it's re-installing android as a whole with different traits (Sense/No sense, pre-installed programs, speed of the phone in general, etc.)

You can't have two ROMS. (At least not simultaneously. you can backup one, install another, and revert to the backup at any time.)
  3. siloner

siloner Member

im glad i found this so i wouldnt start a new thread. the only thing i wanna know is do i have to keep the apps i used to root the phone? also are there any files on my sd card that are safe to remove and still keep the phone working properly? how about the root folder, can i delete that since im done rooting?
  4. Vecchio

Vecchio New Member

I installed virtual-fusion-glacier_rom-v1.0.1 on my Mytouch 4g and cant switch to 4g. Its either 3g or edge. Why? Can anyone answer this ? I cant find any info on this.