Basic Questions on Virgin's new EVOGeneral

1. HamDog

HamDog Member

I currently have the Triumph and want to change to the new EVO on Virgin Mobile. Is this "EVO V" the exact same phone as the EVO V on Sprint? If not, what are the differences in hardware? Are they the exact same size? One thing I didn't like about the Triumph was the lack of accessories. Are the belt clips for the EVO V from Sprint and Virgin the same? How about a car dash mount?

The GPS on the Triumph worked horrible. Is the EVO V much better?

Tethering on a rooted Triumph was hell. Constantly dropped connection. My Sony laptop could never connect, and my Motorola Xoom constantly lost connection (Cyanogen ROM on Triumph). How is tethering on 4G with the new EVO V?

Thanks for any help and advice!

Advertisement
  2. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

There are multiple threads on here for reviews of this phone. Might want check there.
  3. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Developer

The Evo V on Virgin is a rebranded Evo 3d from sprint
  4. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned, this phone is the Evo 3D that was offered by Sprint; it is not just the exact same size, it is the exact same phone (other than VM adding ICS). Everything seems to work very well on the phone, including fast GPS syncs. If you look, you can find several threads talking how much better this phone is than the Triumph.

Also, you will find one thread solely on accessories for this phone which, as an established Sprint phone, you can easily find for good prices.
  5. sinean

sinean Well-Known Member

1: GPS is very quick and accurate for me.
    2. exact same phone
    3. Android wifi tether does work if rooted. setting Generics ics, clamping and reroute.

Tether was with 3g , Have not tried it with 4g. Should still work
  6. JDUBXL

JDUBXL Member

As a former Triumph user, I feel your pain. That thing is such a piece of garbage. I have been so happy with my EVO. And yeah, it's the exact same phone as the EVO 3D. Not only will all EVO 3D acessories work for it, there are a ton available, and many can be found for ridiculously cheap prices right now.
  7. HamDog

HamDog Member

Thanks everyone. I just got back from Best Buy with a new EVO. Just activated based on the thread here on activation troubles as VM had a hard time figuring out my problem. I did the factory reset and everything worked. I even subscribed to the $15/month tethering plan. So far everything is good. GPS locks on immediately! Quite a change from the Triumph.

Battery is running down faster than I imagined. I'll have to pick up a spare battery. But so far I like it in just the past hour. I'll be looking for a belt clip and car dash mount in the next few days.
  8. jr2673

jr2673 Well-Known Member

ill pm you a link for the ORG HTC dash mount/ windshield mount i found for $11.65 shipped with the dual charger its real nice...I bought one from the guy its on ebay
  9. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member Developer

Until you get the battery fully charged and stable, you won;t get a good battery reading.

Also, you really want to completely charge that the first time before you start using it. Otherwise, the battery will never perform at max capacity.
  10. HamDog

HamDog Member

Looking forward to getting your link. Thanks.

Ya, I know about that. I completely charged it the first time. I did start trying to activate while it was plugged in and charging, but I didn't take the charger out until it was completely full. Thanks.