• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Basic questions

stanw

Aug 5, 2010
1. are there any guidelines for recommended sizes to keep Android app file size within?

2. is there any reason to use the web safe palette when designing graphics for Android?

3. is there any filtering process with the Market? Can any app get accepted as long as it does not include copyrighted material or have some other offensive material?

Thanks.

1. are there any guidelines for recommended sizes to keep Android app file size within?

2. is there any reason to use the web safe palette when designing graphics for Android?

3. is there any filtering process with the Market? Can any app get accepted as long as it does not include copyrighted material or have some other offensive material?

Thanks.

1) Make sure to use "non-specific" (I couldn't think of the proper term) sizes such as the "fill_parent", "wrap content", and dpi units instead of px.

2) I have never even heard of this "web safe pallet" so I would say it is not necessary.

3) There is a very specific (though small) list of rules outlined in the TOS presented when signing up for a developer account. head over to market.google.com and sign up for a dev account (Requires a 1 time fee of $25) to get started.

Reactions: stanw
Upvote 0
1.) With regards to "file size" I meant how many bits as in kb, mb, etc. an app should be around.

2.) Also, are there any usability guidelines when designing interfaces and apps that are available?

Thanks!

Oops, I misread your inital post. Sorry. As far as file size guidlines, there are none. you are to make the app as large or as small as you wish. With this said, you should try to keep the app as small as possible because on phones not running Android 2.2 you are required to install the app onto internal memory. As we all know, there is only so much internal memory available and it is usually a rather small number in comparison to the hefty SD cards that are on todays market.

Reactions: stanw
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones