• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Basic tasker question

I'm new to tasker and I just created a simple when I turn WiFi on turn data off task. However when I turn WiFi off it then turns data on. Is it supposed to do that? Is there a way to turn this off?

Is the Task set and unset on time of day or manual activation? I know that if it's set to activate between certain times, at the point the exit time arrives it will revert to the settings that were in effect before the task was activated, if that makes sense?

I reckon it's something to do with what Tasker calls 'Exit Tasks' but I am no expert on Tasker either.

Upvote 0
Yes, thats how tasker works, settings revert back to original settings if the conditions/contexts are no longer met.

Add an exit task to turn data off.

On your profile screen, expand your profile, you should see the context and task. now long press on the task to get an option box, the top option should be "Add EXIT task" - tap that and just add an existing task or create a new one to simply contain >net>mobile data>set off (and any other instructions you need)

This will then perform the exit task EVERY time the profile deactivates.

Optional: Use an IF statement if you only want this active above or below a specified battery level etc.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Yes, thats how tasker works, settings revert back to original settings if the conditions/contexts are no longer met.

Add an exit task to turn data off.

On your profile screen, expand your profile, you should see the context and task. now long press on the task to get an option box, the top option should be "Add EXIT task" - tap that and just add an existing task or create a new one to simply contain >net>mobile data>set off (and any other instructions you need)

This will then perform the exit task EVERY time the profile deactivates.

Optional: Use an IF statement if you only want this active above or below a specified battery level etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I am definitely starting to understand tasker a lot more. Another question: is their a way to make the setting unchanged as an exit task? For example, if I have data on, then I turn WiFi on turning data off, when I turn WiFi off I want data to remain off. But If I turn WiFi on which turns data off, I turn data on after I want data to remain turned on. Is their a way to do this if anyone even understood the above scenario.

Upvote 0
I think I follow, but can you narrow down an instance where you need Wifi off and data on?

For example:

I have a profile set as Wifi, this profile simply determines my location and runs a task simply to turn my wifi on.

A second profile then detects that my phone automatically connects to my home wifi (as a context) and upon that then runs a task to kill my mobile data, sync etc etc and thus when im out of range of my home wifi, (say 50m away) tasker reverts the mobile data settings back to on (so im rarely without data via wifi or mobile)

I hope that makes sence.

The more specific you can be the easier it is to get help.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I am definitely starting to understand tasker a lot more. Another question: is their a way to make the setting unchanged as an exit task? For example, if I have data on, then I turn WiFi on turning data off, when I turn WiFi off I want data to remain off. But If I turn WiFi on which turns data off, I turn data on after I want data to remain turned on. Is their a way to do this if anyone even understood the above scenario.
I'm thinking you can accomplish this by doing absolutely nothing.
If data is already on and you turn Wifi on, Android OS will turn data off for you and then will turn data back on when you turn wifi off. So you can manipulate wifi as you will with Tasker without messing with data and it'll act the way you described.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking you can accomplish this by doing absolutely nothing.
If data is already on and you turn Wifi on, Android OS will turn data off for you and then will turn data back on when you turn wifi off. So you can manipulate wifi as you will with Tasker without messing with data and it'll act the way you described.

Essentially your right as far as the functionality goes, but wifi does not turn off data, it just gets priority, and when you lose wifi for whatever reason, data is still on to kick back in straight away. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones