Battery acting very strangelySupport

Last Updated:

1. rmingee

rmingee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know there are a ton of battery life threads here, but I'm wondering if there's an actual hardware issue with my battery. I had been getting fantastic battery life with my phone (losing 1-3% overnight) after starting to use SwitchPro and turn off everything except when I'm actively using it. Then this week, it all went downhill. Yesterday, I lost 20% overnight, today it was 40%. I have made a few recent changes, and at first I suspected one of those, obviously. But I plugged in my phone as soon as I got to the office this morning, and it went from 12% to 28% in a matter of minutes, which seems too fast. Then I rebooted since I had installed "BatteryHistory", and wanted to give it a clean slate. As soon as I rebooted, no more than 30-40 minutes after plugging in at 12%, and shutting down at 30%, I was suddenly at 60%. Does the battery meter really suck that bad? I've seen the same behavior from an iPod battery on the decline (extremely short time before it claims it is charged, then very fast draining). It's been a while since I did a drain and power-off recharge, which I know is supposed to help "calibrate" the battery, but this behavior seems to indicate a bad cell to me. Am I jumping to conclusions?

Thanks,
    -- robert

Advertisement
  2. rmingee

And after another reboot to "reset" counters, etc for spare parts, I mysteriously lost the 30% I had gained back on the previous reboot. Either this battery is not good, or the mechanism these things use to measure remaining battery capacity BLOWS.

-- robert

3. rmingee

I didn't have time to revert any settings at work today, but after multiple reboots, it is totally back to normal now - it can sit asleep for more than an hour with everything except voice off and not lose any battery at all. I still don't get the wildly fluctuating levels after reboots, but obviously some process had gone runaway that wasn't being detected by the basic battery usage indicator. Oh well, the joys of being an early adopter - it's still a lot less flaky than my Pre was early on :).

-- robert