Battery at 75% and its 4pm. Good news.

Last Updated:

1. Godfather13

Godfather13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just giving an update. After I put the Handcent app on and disabled the Hero sms one like they said in Mr. Nice Guys thread everything has been working great. Before my phone was awake like 97% of the time. Now its under 20%. I have tons of apps installed as well as Advanced Task Killer. No probs to report at this time. :crosses fingers:

Advertisement
  2. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

I uninstalled handcent sms installed advanced task manager, set it to kill "messages" every 30 min and use the default message app regularly. 10-15% uptime.

The default messaging app is much faster and takes less room. I'm picky. C'mon Sprint with that d4mn patch!

3. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

I cannot seem to find Mr. Nice Guys thread. Do you have a link? Thanks!

4. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

Just search the market for Handcent Sms - install it - open up the default messaging app - turn of notifications and retrieve messages - Open up handcent and set your prefs as you prefer - reboot and you're done.

5. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Well-Known Member

I downloaded Advanced Task Manager and I don't see any option to "set it to kill every 30 mins". Advanced Task Manager is the blue icon with the black arm looking thing??

6. CMank

CMank Active Member

I went with ChompSMS, which seems to fix this battery issue as well. After a day of light use - about 3.5 hours Awake Time - my battery was at 54%.

It's tough coming from the corporate world of Blackberry. My Curve 8900 would usually make it 3 days before requiring a charge. I've had to really lower my expectations on how long a phone battery should last.

7. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

Yes the blue icon with the black arm.. looks like the Steam logo. Anyhow, open up the program , then press menu and go to preferences. Scroll down to "Auto End Frequency" and set that to 30 minutes. DON'T CHECK auto-end running apps! Open up Auto-End Apps List and add Messages and you're done. Every thirty minutes you'll see the notification at the bottom that ..." One task has been ended."

8. arashed31

arashed31 Active Member

I think this feature is in the paid version only. I used Automatic Task killer to manage the Messages app. The program automatically kills selected programs as soon as the phone goes to sleep.

I set it to kill messages, gmail, browser, etc. at sleep and it frees up 10-15MB of ram every time I come back.

9. ron

ron Well-Known Member

Arashed, so are you not getting messages while it sleeps then?

10. arashed31

arashed31 Active Member

I actually do. the program starts up again whenever I receive a message.

11. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Well-Known Member

Can you confirm this is only with the paid version? If so, do you really think it's worth it to pay for it? I also like the stock message better than handcent or chomp, they both seem to be slow at times.

12. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I tried downloading the free version, the auto kill feature is dulled out so its unable on the free version... I also like he stock sms app better, I'm really hoping for the update soon.

13. CMank

CMank Active Member

I have to guess that you and everyone else on this forum is hopeful HTC will fix this issue. It's actually pretty disconcerting that they know this is a problem but haven't fixed it yet. It would have been such a great story to see them jump into action and get a proper fix out there. Not a work around, which I'm very happy for, that uses Handcent or Chomp.

14. phone*guy

phone*guy Well-Known Member

Man...I've tried everything, including the auto task killer and my phone still sits at 100% uptime with really low battery life. Love the phone but I hope HTC/Sprint gets a fix out soon...This really sucks.

15. rsbenedict

rsbenedict Well-Known Member

There may be other apps that keep the phone awake. I noticed that some battery monitors will keep the phone awake.

16. phone*guy

I've stripped it down to just the apps it came with, except for the auto-task killer. Theres a serious flaw in the code somewhere that keeps the phone at 100% awake time...And runs the battery into the ground.

17. Godfather13

After downloading Handcent and making it your default messaging app have you gone into setting > applications > manage apps >
    Then search for both Hero SMS apps 'Messages' and 'Messages widget' click on both and clear data and Force stop.

Then turn off phone competely and re-start the phone. Clear notifications for the Hero sms messaging system.

After that you should be golden. Worked for me and my phone now runs at 15% awake time. Battery is fine. I also run Advanced Task Killer.

18. phone*guy

Yeah...Did it all...Several times too...Still at 100% all the time.

19. Godfather13

Hmm. Then Im at a loss for your phone. Maybe take it back for another and see if the new one does it too. I can only speak for mine and so far its worked with no issues.

20. checkers

checkers Active Member

Remember when you first boot phone up do NOT let it fall asleep by itself. Open and close something then put it to sleep, if you dont the phone will not sleep and your back to 100% run time.

21. kayawire

kayawire Well-Known Member

I think this step is very very crucial....I forgot to do that, and always got 100% run time, until I executed that step...worked after that!