• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Battery case charging problems

Not sure if I should prefix this with Support or Accessory as both prefixes relate to this issue..

Guys, I am having a very strange issue and really need some good ideas to figure out what the heck is going on because I am completely stumped and out of ideas. Short of going to the local AT&T store, I hope you guys can help me here.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717
Battery: Stock
External Battery: Case with built in battery which will keep the battery charged by actively charging it or charges on demand. Either way, in order to get the external battery to either charge or run the device, there is a button on the back that you can push and when it's charging or running the device, there are up to 4 little blue LED's on the back. As long as they are on, the external battery should be doing it's thing.

Well folks, here is my problem. yesterday everything was working fine. Push the button when the battery on my device get's low, the blue LED's lit up and the battery indicator in the info screen on the device showed the battery charging.

This morning I woke up and noticed my battery was less then half way full so I pushed the button, the blue LED's came on, but the device is NOT showing the internal battery charging, in fact the longer the LED's stay on (or off, doesn't much matter anymore) the internal battery is discharging, as it would not connected to the case/battery pack.

I disconnected the external case/battery and plugged my device directly to a charging cord which plugs into my wall or laptop, and within the info screen on my home screen the battery indicator shows that it is charging just fine. This led me to believe that perhaps the external battery in the case either is defective or damaged, (Keep in mind that this has been working perfectly for a couple months no, now issues). I took the little connector that attaches the external battery to the device and plugged that into a different external battery back that can be charged via the micro USB, and that other external pack seems to light up and allow it self to be charged by the case/external battery.

To my this eliminates as best I can tell any hardware issues since the device can still charge off of another adapter / external battery, the blue LED's turn on when the on button on the rear is pushed, the case/external battery when connected to another device appears to charge said other device no problem which to me indicates that there is no problem with the case/external battery nor any issue with the tiny micro USB.

Also as a point of reference, I have had issues in the past where the micro USB inny on my device becomes useless and can not hold the connection to any micro USB cable and just wiggles around, however this is not the case here. The cables from my external charger and the case/external battery fit very sturdily. As you can imagine I am completely at loss as to why all of a sudden the case/external battery is no longer charging the internal battery.

If you one has any ideas, please feel free to share because if I would need to contact some support reps, I would not know if the problem is with the device (SGH-i717), OS(Jelly Bean 4.1.2), case/external battery or the tiny micro USB cable. Not sure if it will help, but I have added the URL to the case/battery pack so you can see what I am using. This link is the exact case I purchased, however, the store in this URL is not where I purchased it from.

Leather Flip External Battery Case for Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 / i717 - Black
item#: MCH-I9220-11A

I truly would be grateful if someone could help me figure out what maybe going on here or perhaps how to troubleshoot this further. I have rebooted the device as well as pulled the internal battery to no avail. I don't know if there are any ways to diagnose this or perhaps some app in the Play Store that may help me see what kind of voltage is being delivered from the case or what.

I am really looking forward to hearing from you guys. Many thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones