• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Charges to 90%

Kev50027

Nov 8, 2009
Just got my Motorola Droid about 9 hours ago, and as soon as I got home I plugged it in, since it had roughly 60% charge. It has been plugged in since then, and has said "Charging (90%)" on the lock screen ever since, and the about screen confirms that the battery is charged to 90%.

I searched all over, but it appears no one else is having this issue. Should I return to Best Buy (I hate them, but I'd rather go there than wait for a mail in rebate, or for the phone to ship) and get a replacement?

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, my Droid does not seem to charge beyond 90% battery no matter how long I keep it plugged in.

It could either be an issue with the battery being faulty (rather unlikely)
or the software that measures the full charge of the battery (rather more likely).

I'm going to try to run my Droid down to completely empty and then charge it, and see if that fixes the issue, if it doesn't, it's most likely the battery and I'll need a replacement.

I know Android measures the battery in 10% increments, so it's likely that it's charging to 99%, but it will only tell me 90% because that's where it stops measuring, however it is worrisome on a modern smart phone, and I've never had the issue before on any other phone, or my other Android phone, the HTC Hero for Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones