Battery Charging and GPS issue

Last Updated:

1. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was using my Droid for GPS yesterday and noticed about 2 hours into my drive that the battery icon was showing that the phone was charging which was odd to me since the phone was plugged in the whole time that GPS was running. I ignored it however thinking that it was just a fluke, however when I got to my destination after 3 hours of using the GPS while plugged in my battery was at 50% only. I am running JRummy .7 with Chevy's LV 1GHz kernel with SetCPU set to have the phone run between 550 and 1000 while charging, so it can run at stock speed, I have it set to sleep at 250 and have the failsafe set to have the phone clock down to a max speed of 550 when the battery exceeds 45 degrees. I have no clue why this happened and if anyone does I would appreciate some help as it would be annoying to have the phone die on a trip.

Advertisement
  2. mhynek

mhynek Well-Known Member

I see you found this out the hard way too. Apparently, the phone uses more juice using GPS than the car charger can provide. With GPS off, it will charge your phone completely. However, with it on, the phone's charge will trickle off. Sucks.

3. bose301s

Yup, I think I may have found a fix however, Motorola's official charger, not the POS that VZQ sells.

Amazon.com: Motorola P513 Vehicle Power Adapter MicroUSB Rapid…

4. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

I use a generic charger and it charges fine while using gps. Had it left over from my Nokia.

5. bose301s

Damn, your phone has a feature mine doesn't, it can use god. How did you manage that? :D

6. rjoudrey

Dam spell check

7. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

We have the generic one as well and have used Navigation for over a few hours. No issues with losing battery power. However, the last time I did that for a length of time my phone wasn't rooted. Not sure where the issue lies.

8. rjoudrey

When charging I set setcpu at 550/250. Heat will affect battery for sure.