• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Charging Habits

roush611

Sep 21, 2010
So coming from a BB and iPhone I never had to worry about leaving my phone on the charger all night. This being said I would like to do the same with my cappy but I am afraid that I will destroy the battery. Do you guys leave your phone on the charger over night? The only reason I am concerned about this is because the stupid phone actually tells me to unplug it when it is charged. This leads me to believe that it will over charge the battery if I leave it on...

So coming from a BB and iPhone I never had to worry about leaving my phone on the charger all night. This being said I would like to do the same with my cappy but I am afraid that I will destroy the battery. Do you guys leave your phone on the charger over night? The only reason I am concerned about this is because the stupid phone actually tells me to unplug it when it is charged. This leads me to believe that it will over charge the battery if I leave it on...

I don't know why it says that (personally I hate it). It stops charging when it is completely full so you don't have to worry about damaging the battery. I've been leaving it on its charger every night since I've owned it - almost 2months now. So no worries man!!

Upvote 0
I've had no issues. But recently, ive been swapping batteries instead. I got the 2 batteries and charger from ebay.

Did you try to charge the original battery in the charger from ebay ? Did you see a difference ? Sometimes i think the phone doesn't charge the battery all the way even though it says it does. After it says 100% i reconnect the charger and it still charges, sometimes another 20 minutes.

Upvote 0
When I used the original charger that came with the phone, the phone would charge to "almost" full. Then it would say it is charged and to unplug it. If I left it plugged in the rest of the night, in the morning, it would be at, say, 50%.

When I switched to this charger
Lenmar ACUSB4 AC Travel Adapter for up to 4 USB Powered Devices (Black)
which has 2 amps (to power those 4 usb ports) my phone charges all the way to 100%. Even if I leave it plugged in all night after the "fully charged please unplug" it is still full in the morning

My conclusions:
* the charger that comes with the captivate sucks
* it is wimpy and underpowered and/or...
* it allows current to leak back through the charger and draw down the battery

Upvote 0
Honestly, I take the cord with me wherever I go. I charge on my netbook, I charge it in my car, etc. etc.

As I posted here
3rd party USB cables charging only 50%!?
I was able to get a couple extra Samsung OEM cables for cheap. Now I carry one in my Netbook bag. Leave one permanently at work on my computer there. And leave the original that came with the phone on my nightstand on the 4-port charger.

Reactions: pac0naut
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones