• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery cover falling off...

Droidood

Nov 3, 2009
Is it just me, or does anyone else's battery cover come off way too easily? I'll accidentally slide it off when pulling my phone out of my pocket all the time... and sometimes it gets pulled off in my pocket so I take the phone out and the cover falls on the ground :thinking:

I really don't want to put a case on my phone just to hold the damn attery cover on.

Same problem I have as well.. really annoying. You would have thought this one would have come up in the tests for the phone as well. The problem is that the back is rubberized the fabric in the pocket grips the back of the phone when slipping it out of your pocket...
But the metal hinges should keep it readily secured. From a lot of the hands-on videos the reviewer took like 2-3 tries before the cover came off. Maybe the heat from the phone and your body with the friction from the rubberized grip with the lining of your pocket is warping the metal just enough so that it comes off easily... That's not good--hopefully you guys just have defective units. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think this is not just my unit as I bought two Droids (one for my fiance as well) and here battery cover pops off readily as well. I did try Slashgear's suggestion and it will at least keep the cover from falling off, but it doesn't prevent it from easily sliding out of the "lock" position. Poor design by Moto, it would seem. :(

Upvote 0
Mine is SOLID you almost have to press a little too hard to slide mine off. As far as being afraid to bend the tabs a little bit... well you can only bend them a tiny bit and still be able to hit the holes so I dont think anybody wil ever be able to tell. And I bet just a little bend would make all the diference....

Upvote 0
This problem right here is beginning to make me wonder. I have seen other problems that folks are having, with things like software that is not working OOB, etc., and when I was talking to the VZW reps before buying this phone (after I joined here, before the phone came out) one of the reps spilled the beans about them having the phone out and about to play with. Also, I went to Best Buy to look at their phone After I had received mine on Saturday, looking for cases, and I noticed that the slide out KB on the BB display was very easy to slide out - whereas mine is nice and tight, meaning it doesn't open easily (and thus not in my pocket, either, like in yet another thread).

Is it possible that folks who purchased the phones in VZW stores actually got units that have been used and passe around a lot, and thus have parts that have been used, making them vulnerable in this manner to ease of removal and ease of sliding out?

I mean, mine came from VZW via calling them, it has one of the latest dates of manufacture that I have seen, and everything is tight (battery cover requires a good amount of pressure, just like GMB said above me) and the KB is tight, as I mentioned....

Upvote 0
I put a small portion of a business card (cut it to the same dimension as the gray piece already stuck to the battery door cover) and it works perfect.

As a permenant solution I would remove the factory foam/tape from the cover and install a slightly thicker one.

My concern with bending the tabs is if they are bent to far or too many times, they'll crack right off and then you won't have a cover that works at all anymore.

try this, and let me know, seems like motorla just needed a thicker pad in the first place to use between the cover and the battery.

Upvote 0
Motorola will send you a replacement. They are aware of the problem. Basically you send them an e-mail through their website and they will respond with 24 hours.

Mine was giving me the same problem....I sent the e-mail...and they are sending me a 1-time replacement for free. Currently I am using the business card trick and it seems to be working!!

Here is the link:

https://www.motorola.com/feedback.jsp

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones